HBE Germania 44 - NPD comin'!

xfactor27

• Members

Mornin' All,

I was on here and started a post about a week back and said I was searching for an Iommi sound out of my rig. And per all the good suggestions,

( and the funny ones, LOL! ) I was able to get my hands on a HBE Germania 44 treble booster for a decent price , NEW...

Should be here in a couple of days and I'll send along some updates of my thoughts on it after. There was one person that chimed in that he had the Purple version Germania and loved it.... unfortunatly the place I ordered from was out of stock on that model and my thoughts were that this one has supposedly a better transistor in it,,,and the price was lowere than what Homebrew's web site was selling it for, so figured, what the hell!!!!

Heaven & Hell!!!!

Has anyone heard one of these pedals "live"??? Am I going to be happy?

Should be a rockin' week to help deal with the snow here in ILL.

Man we went from Spring back to Winter in a matter of 24 hrs...SUCKS!!

Later Everyone.

DJ

• Members

I have a Germania 44, with only a hi-fi/lo-fi switch.

I'm on the fence about it. In my experience. Unless the amp is cooking, it is just too brittle. Also, I really only like humbuckers with it.

I do like stacking it with a muff-type fuzz though. Germania 44 --> Muff, I get a tonebender-ish tone with this pair.

• Members

Thanks for the usefull observation , MIng,.....I did notice a "warmer" tone with the Purple version in the one You Tube video of a side-by side comparison. The one I've got coming does have a 3Q switch ....maybe this takes out some of the brittleness, or I've got an EQ pedal and can dial out some of the brittleness if I hear it with my rig ( 20w Egnater Head)

Or , may settle for having to send it back and wait the two weeks . Will only know for SURE once I plug in.

But, the added little info from anyone on here of what to expect is helpfull.

Thanx.

DJ

• Members

Mornin' All,

I was on here and started a post about a week back and said I was searching for an Iommi sound out of my rig. And per all the good suggestions,

( and the funny ones, LOL! ) I was able to get my hands on a HBE Germania 44 treble booster for a decent price , NEW...

Should be here in a couple of days and I'll send along some updates of my thoughts on it after. There was one person that chimed in that he had the Purple version Germania and loved it.... unfortunatly the place I ordered from was out of stock on that model and my thoughts were that this one has supposedly a better transistor in it,,,and the price was lowere than what Homebrew's web site was selling it for, so figured, what the hell!!!!

Heaven & Hell!!!!

Has anyone heard one of these pedals "live"??? Am I going to be happy?

Should be a rockin' week to help deal with the snow here in ILL.

Man we went from Spring back to Winter in a matter of 24 hrs...SUCKS!!

Later Everyone.

DJ

I think you'll be happy. I used one in lieu of an OD pedal in front of a VOX30 (not mine) and it really cut through and gave me a bright doomy clarity.

The OD pedal (probably Bad Monkey) just got lost and sounded like mud. The Germania kicked ass. Now, it also depends on if you are using SC or HB and if you are using Hi-Fi or Lo-Fi mode. I don't remember which, just let your ears do it for you.

The brittleness might be from cranking the dial more than 25 - 50% in lo-fi mode. You can always roll the tone knob back (if you have one). Or switch to the neck pup.

Also, you probably don't need to crank it past 10' o Clock. Also use batteries, it cuts down on noise/interference

• Members

X, I don't have the Germania, but I do have three Homebrew pedals on my stage board - The ParaDrive, Mimic II, and Compressor Retro. They make amazing sounding pedals, super high quality, and have pretty reasonable prices. Good luck man - I hope it nails that Iommi tone for you.

Unless the amp is cooking, it is just too brittle.

This is true of all the treble boosters I've tried - the amp has to be at least on the verge of breakup, or hotter.

Archived