anyone run pedals through the amp loop?

vinster333

• Members

i've always thought about running my modulation/delay pedals through the amp loop but didn't have long enough cables. i'm too poor. :p i'm planning to get a couple of good 25 ft cables. but before i do i want to see if there are any reasons NOT to do it. i have a chorus, vibe, and a couple of delays i'd like to put in the loop. i have a flextone III by the way.

i just had some questions for anyone that does long loop runs:

any note latency in your signal from the long cable loop?

i don't think amp effect loops are buffered, so any tone suck?

any problems i should look out for?

thanks!

• Members

You shouldn't have any latency. The sound (signal) is still travelling at the speed of light. You'd need several miles of cable to notice any latency, and even then I doubt you would care after all the tone suck!

Effects loops are absolutely buffered, they come after the gain stage of the amp!

Some digital delays and other purely digital signal processing pedals do NOT like effects loops at all. Experiment with short cable runs to see if you like the sound of various effects in your amp's loop. If you like how they sound there better than up front, keep it for the longer cable runs so it's at your feet. If you don't like it, don't use it. Be honest with yourself.

Also, if you don't use amp gain/distortion you stand to benefit very little from using your amp's effects loop.

• Members

I use a flextone 3 as well ( most under rated amp ever) and I personally don't use the fx loop because I think it make my delays sound thinner, plus for how I have my setup up its just to much trouble with not enough benefit. It's cool to use the fx loop switch on the fbv board, but like I said it doesn't do it for me.

more cables, more mess, more STRESS! :thu:

Archived