Trying to make a decision - upgrading my guitar setup

45below

• Members

Hey guys,

So here's the deal: my current guitar effects setup is fairly beginner, and with my further interest in music, I would like to upgrade.

My hope and dream is to play in a regular gigging band, and make a quality CD or two. This being said, I want my gear to be the quality that I can accomplish this with. However, I'm on a fairly tight budget (less than $500) so this obviously limits my options.

So here are my options (so far):

Peavey Vypyr 30 watt amp + Sanpera 2 footswitch + SM57 for recording and live.

I've heard great things about this amp, including the fact that the stompboxes were indeed analog, not digital.

OR

A Cab and Head, and building my own pedalboard to meet my needs. The problem with this is that I'm (more or less) new at guitar effects and would not be quite sure what to get to match my style. If I went this route I would probably just get a half-stack and mic it as well.

My style is rock, ranging from a hard rock (think deep sustain, although not metal) to alternative rock (think good charlotte, shinedown), to punk rock (blink 182, green day)

I really like the variety and complexity of a modeling amp such as the Vypyr, although I am worried about overall sound quality, as many pros stick to the cab, head, and separate pedals.

Thanks in advance for helping me out. I really appreciate it. :) :)

• Members

if your looking for a cheap but good stack / half stack check out the marshall avt series.

i had the ltd special edition head and cab and its awesome, the new stuff is called AVT Tribute, but try and had a look for the old valvestate 200 versions or the LTD Special Ones, awesome.

pedal wise i would recommened thr big muff tone wicker for a distortion tone for the styles of music your playing, as for mic wise i know nothing about them but i belive its SM58 or something are good ones !!

Archived