Is 61 Keys Enough???

peders

• Members

Is 192 keys enough?

axis-01.jpg

My MP9000 has been gathering dust since I started using the AXiS-64, and there's no space concerns ;-)

Although definitely not for classical piano feel, it's more like typing on a computer keyboard that makes musical sense.

cheers

ripe

• Members

So I use a dedicated MIDI interface (M-Audio MIDISport) which works fine, no problems. Solid drivers, which they update on their website all the time. MOTU makes very reliable interfaces too, like the Micro Lite. Be sure to use one with
anything
from CME.

:)

Have you tried the UF400 interface? I'm suppose to be getting one of those with the board for free. Thanks for the info...the package shipped today!!!

• Members

Any size works for a home studio.

If you play live,tape paper over all keys but 61 and see when you need a wider range,and in what songs.If you can get by with 1 octave down preset (or up), 61 is plenty.

Go through your whole song list....

Band will like you better without taking up too much space.

Richard

• Members

Seems like only you can really answer this question.

I was ready to buy a 76 or 88 key keyboard next, but did some thinking, and decided I really didn't need the extra range.

Out of roughly 10 original songs my band has, averaging about 5 different patches per song, I can't think of one instance where an extra octave would benefit me. My orchestral combinations sound rather unnatural, or even terrible when played above or below the usual 61 keys. My lead tones react similarly, come to think of it. My splits aren't very fancy, either. Usually some melodious instrument up top and some strings, atmosphere, or pulsating stuff on the bottom. My parts are far from simple, but I really just don't need more space. The only time I've ever found limited, was when I was trying to learn some classical piano songs. I'll probably save learning those for when I can get my hands on a real piano.

I also don't mind the idea of not having to schlep 80 pounds of heavy hammer-action, and somehow fit it in my car.

It's a great way to save 1000 bucks, if you've thought things through.

Archived