Random Tube amp fizzle?

Silverburst LP

• Members

I have a Valve Jr. Combo. Had it a little less than a year. A few days ago I noticed some random fizzle and crackle. I just bought a new cable, and thought it was that, but I switched cables and the fizzle is still there.

Is this possible radio/cell phone interference or is it time to change the stock tubes already?

• Members

Could be a bad tube, a bad connection (solder, etc.) or {censored}ty power.

No real way to tell without having a tech look at it.

Have you done the pencil-tap preamp tube test?

No (explain, please), but my apartment rig is the Valve Jr. mic'd into a Solid State Fender KXR 100 (yummy reverb+15" speaker and tweeter=tits).

I think it may be a power issue, though, because I just heard a little of the crackle in the Fender amp, too--just sitting there turned on with no guitar. The Valve Jr. is currently turned off.

I have a bunch of wall-warts and a pedal board plug going into a power strip. That's where the Fender is plugged in. The Valve Jr. is in the wall socket just above where the power strip is plugged in. I wonder if the power in this building just got {censored}ty with all the snow/humidity lately?

• Members

Thanks. Rather than diagnose it wrong, I'm just gonna get a new power tube and a new preamp tube, save a trip to the store. I've only had this amp about a year, but I can count on one hand the amount of days I haven't played through it; with no standby switch, I guess they're just fried--at least one of them is. Might as well change both.

Archived