TS 9 VS. Keeley TS9 Baked Mod

wodbs_2004

• Members

Hi folks,

Just planning to buy a TS9, but can't decide which one to choose :p

I really want a TS9 to be TS9 and not 808 or something else,

with a mid-hump and all that sonic features of a Tube Screamer.

And I already understand that Keeley TS9 has 3x the tone saturation and drive compared the stock one.

I am ruling Plus Mod out because they say it sounds like TS808, which I already have.

However, except that, I really want to learn more about their sonic differences

Let's say, if two pedals are set to about the same amount of drive gain, and tone saturation, how do their sound compare? First hand experience please!!

• Members

Here's some more youtube vids with comparisons

[YOUTUBE]5QiaPK5oj7U[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]yqRJ2TYuvdA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Jrj0plBVGSY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]PuKEbORe0fI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]fce_gvm-geE[/YOUTUBE]

Any Opamp mod is probably not worth it....

[YOUTUBE]bpTv2jAree8[/YOUTUBE]

although I hope nobody sees this comment cause it can cause a sh*t storm around here....

I guess the real question is why do you need another TS9. If you want to combine it with your existing TS9 you have the potential option of getting one of those visual sound pedals (the overdrive of the Jekyll and Hyde and the Route '66 are very similar to a TS-9) and you get another pedal/effect out of it for free.

If you want to use it as a standalone pedal to switch between the two and you are a big fan of the original TS-9 sound then obviously you should go for a TS9 (with mod).

• Members

I guess the real question is why do you need another TS9. If you want to combine it with your existing TS9 you have the potential option of getting one of those visual sound pedals (the overdrive of the Jekyll and Hyde and the Route '66 are very similar to a TS-9) and you get another pedal/effect out of it for free.

If you want to use it as a standalone pedal to switch between the two and you are a big fan of the original TS-9 sound then obviously you should go for a TS9 (with mod).

Haha why not? Connect 2 TSs in a row to get more gain and all that stuff, use one to boost the other pedal or boost clean when the other one is off...

it just adds more flexibility in my chain.

Other TS based pedals may sound close, but they simply are not TS.

I am a big fan of tube screamer family so I am not really considering any other option at the moment. Not that other pedals are bad, but just that I like tube screamers better.

So back to original question, why would you hate or like a stock or modded TS9?

• Members

Haha why not? Connect 2 TSs in a row to get more gain and all that stuff, use one to boost the other pedal or boost clean when the other one is off...

it just adds more flexibility in my chain.

Other TS based pedals may sound close, but they simply are not TS.

I am a big fan of tube screamer family so I am not really considering any other option at the moment. Not that other pedals are bad, but just that I like tube screamers better.

So back to original question, why would you hate or like a stock or modded TS9?

Having 2 TS-9s makes perfect sense to me. I am not saying to go one way or the other. I have a keeley modded TS-808 and it love it. Bought it like that off ebay, I wish I had the ability to compare it with a stock 808. If you end up getting another TS-9 I would love to hear your thoughts on it and how it compares. My next pedal will probably be a Route '66 though...

Archived