I think I need a boost pedal

EzzO)))

• Members

So I've been playing a little bit of lead in my new band which is something I've never done before. I'm finding that when its time for me to rip one of my mediocre solo's I have a hard time hearing myself. I'm playing through a completely cranked Orange Rockerverb 50 but my solos are getting lost in the mix. I think a boost pedal might be in order but I have no idea what kind I need. Since I'm already playing with what I consider to be a pretty sweet hi-gainish tone I don't think I'd want an OD boost. Should I be looking for a clean boost pedal? I see some say 50 db's of clean boost but I'm skeptical that it would really make my amp 50 dbs louder. Any suggestions?

• Members

Dude what are your settings? A cranked Rockerverb is loud. I know because I've cranked one before. I can't see how you're getting drowned out.

My settings are probably not helping, I keep the treble at about 11 o'clock the mids at noon, and the bass is almost at max. It's not that I'm getting drowned out its just my solos aren't really cutting through the mix. I really like the my tone and I don't really want to loose that by cranking the treble and mids.

• Members

Ego Booster looks pretty cool, there are also quite a few boost pedals at Tone Factor that look appealing.

I wasn't aware that a tube screamer was a mid boost. My only experience with them has been bad emulations on modeling units. Never tried the real thing with a cranked amp.

• Members

What guitar/pickups are you using? You might love your tone but try and work with all your band to find the right tones that make the band sound great. Normally a great sound on it's own gets lost when you add another guitar player, bass and drums.

Its all about eq'ing - the bass full up seems intense if you're playing with other people

• Members

I'm using an SG standard with SD SH-14 in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck. The other guitar player is using a JCM 800 and a les paul. Our tones complement each other quite well. I'm starting to think it's my slightly scooped mid sound thats mudding up my lead work. I think I'm going to look for a boost that has a some decent tone control or maybe try a tube screamer.

• Members

I've heard a couple people say that about RV50's, I think it's that tone wise we all kind of battle for those lower mid frequencies for a real thick sound. It gives a really cool combined sound but when I try and rip a lead it doesn't have the punch I'd like

Archived