volume down gain reduces

nutstae

• Members

Hi guys

I thought

volume goes down, gain reduces equation was only applied to

guitar volume knob.

and I was using my Rat 2 & Earnie ball volume pedal jr.

as I lowered a volume distortion was fading away too even if I barely lowered volume.

if I use my amp volume knob to lower the volume just how much I did to volume pedal, it still has the distortion.

any advice?

do i have to get active vp now or something? >:(

• Members

If the volume pedal is after the Rat, then it should do what you're looking for. You can also try flipping the little switch in front to change the volume taper, which you may prefer (still shouldn't affect your dist level, you just may like it better).

Other thing is if the Rat is kicking the front-end of your amp into tube overdrive, in which case, lowering the volume will also lower the amp OD.

• Members

Yes, the EB Jr. volume pedal is just a guitar volume in pedal form. If you put this before you rat, it is just like turning your guitar volume down. The less signal you send to the pedal, the less distorted it will get.

Once it hits the pedal, the pedal does what it does (distorts) and passes it along. Reducing the volume on your amp is going to reduce the signal coming into the amp (usually). This would be similar to using your volume pedal after the rat. Once the signal is distorted, you can't change that character by just lowering the volume, as it will lower the distorted signal. I think I'm talking in circles.

So

Volume pedal before pedal is like guitar volume. Volume pedal after the pedal is more like the amp volume, reducing over all volume and not affecting gain.

Archived