Pedals you're using with the HT-5...

• Members

Hello! i just got a Blackstar HT-5 (head version) & i'm not using any pedals with it, i just seem to prefer the stock tone over putting pedals infront.

I'm interested to know what pedals other people have been using with theirs that have managed to 'improve' upon their stock tone (focusing predominantly the OD channel, but chuck in your fav clean tones aswell) :wave:

• Members

I also have an HT-5 head - I run it though a Marshall 2x12 with g12t75s (but ran the stock 1x10 with these same pedals at about the same settings with good results as well).

I use a Barber Silver LTD to boost/tighten the od channel. Sometimes as a clean boost (volume max, gain at min), but also as a dirty boost (volume around 3 oclock and gain around 10-11 oclock ish).

I also use a Monster Effects Mastortion as a massive dirty/fuzzy boost.

I generally run the od channel somewhere around 9oclock on the gain and volume - so its good an chrunchy and kick on the pedals to really bring the drive.

• Members

I also have an HT-5 head - I run it though a Marshall 2x12 with g12t75s (but ran the stock 1x10 with these same pedals at about the same settings with good results as well).

I use a Barber Silver LTD to boost/tighten the od channel. Sometimes as a clean boost (volume max, gain at min), but also as a dirty boost (volume around 3 oclock and gain around 10-11 oclock ish).

I also use a Monster Effects Mastortion as a massive dirty/fuzzy boost.

I generally run the od channel somewhere around 9oclock on the gain and volume - so its good an chrunchy and kick on the pedals to really bring the drive.

mm, that sounds pretty good to me.

I've found i don't tend to turn the gain up higher than 12:00 on the OD channel, i'd prefer to 'kick in' an extra boost for that (& make it a bit more hairy), but can't decide on what it really needs...

Maybe some kind of cleanish-boost that can add sustain but without cutting too much bass (& a little top-end sizzle for brightness ;) ) but the closest thing i've had to that is a treble-booster, which usually cuts a bit too much bass (& is a bit faulty/noisy at the moment & i stopped using it months ago), though they are the best-sounding units i've ever had for OD-channel/Distortion-pedal boosters.

If only you could get that same sustain/brightness without having to lose all the bass..

• Members

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2571535

That is a thread I did to demo the Mastortion. It definitely gets really hairy with some top end fuzzieness but is not lacking in bass. At all. It is not subtle or transparent though.

The LTD is more transparent and it gives you a bit more gain and tightens the low end just a bit without feeling like its cutting any bass.

I don't really have any extensive experience with overdrives other than these. There are also the usual suspects of ts style pedals, boss od3 or sd1. Another pedal that seems to get alot of love around here is the Fulltone Fulldrive 2. Also, you can't forget about the Timmy. I've only played the od3 out of those so take these reccomendations with a grain of salt.

• Members
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2571535

That is a thread I did to demo the Mastortion. It definitely gets really hairy with some top end fuzzieness but is not lacking in bass. At all. It is not subtle or transparent though.

The LTD is more transparent and it gives you a bit more gain and tightens the low end just a bit without feeling like its cutting any bass.

I don't really have any extensive experience with overdrives other than these. There are also the usual suspects of ts style pedals, boss od3 or sd1. Another pedal that seems to get alot of love around here is the Fulltone Fulldrive 2. Also, you can't forget about the Timmy. I've only played the od3 out of those so take these reccomendations with a grain of salt.

ooh sweet, i'll not pass up an opportunity to hear more HT-5 demos :thu:
(gotta get the most out of your equipment, y'know?)

Archived