The main manufacturer's are overdue in the Groovebox department!

MuzikB

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
are those vertical? Either way ... RAWK!

it's taken from an angle, so no...but... hmmmmm :idea:

also D, i'd love to peep some of what you come up with, especially the 30min set of trax.
in some ways i like the 4-or-more tracks-in-one thing as much as a DJ mix...maybe more since EVERYHING is modifiable on the fly and is much better at avoiding the repetetive doldrums that so much dance falls prey to.

We gotta keep the live P.A. spirit going in this sorry age of mp3 & laptop "DJs"

btw the mp3 i posted is a couple years old now, when i had just gotten the EMX after a year of ESX only...then the 777 showed up a little later :)

• Members

btw the mp3 i posted is a couple years old now, when i had just gotten the EMX after a year of ESX only...then the 777 showed up a little later
:)

I will definitely post something ... But really, I'm just getting my feet wet with all of this ... essentially I'm just muting/unmuting parts and learning how to use both machines to add interest and complexity to the sound ... evem on the most basic levels there's a possible art form to it ...

... just added this today ...

ishackimageba1.jpg

highly recommended in a groovebox context ... naturally it mesches VERY will with the tribes since the main way notes are arpeggiated is by a large variety of scales that are the same on both machines ...

• Members

Well you guys are inspiring me to record a live session tonight, I'll see how it works out... This will be the 5th track I've recorded in two weeks!

This will be the last one before I rip everything out and install the new mixer arriving Wed. :thu:

cheers
ripe

• Members

So, what might an MV-9000 have that the MV-8800 does not?

Most of the interface and engine of the MC-909.....?

Can't say. I don't work for Roland. I don't see any reason for Roland to make a new MV. It would currently walk all over their Fantom line if they gave it a PCM synth engine.

Besides, its' size doesn't exactly make it much of a mobile DJ tool. It's really a computer alternative.

• Members

OK, I recorded something live and in one take... fresh off the multitracker :-)

FR Revo, Machinedrum, Virus TI, V-Synth: sequenced with the octopus

Oh, and the Eventide TimeFactor, I really am liking this box, I wish that they had made the form factor a little less stompboxy.

liftoff

let me know what you think.

cheers

ripe

PS: disregard the wonky delay in some places, that's the Virus TI changing BPM while synced for some reason.

• Members

wonky delay is okay!

very nice.

Thanks! Yeah the weird delay changes give it that scary "The Shining" feel ;-)

Maybe I should look at using this fault as an inspiration for my next track!

cheers

ripe

• 3 months later...
  • Members

There's a a local one (RS7K) in good shape ... the seller wants around $650 ... Would you?

One of the things I don't like about it is how BIG it is ... (and homely if you ask me ... but not offensively so ... )

....if it has the expanded memory and the optional individual-outs board, ("AIB2"), then it might almost be worth it. Maybe start your bidding at ~$550.

And big? For sure. Homely? maybe a little.

Getting around on it was too much of a thinker for me, but it's a really good box.

• Members

That was a loooong time ago, IB ...

I haven't thought about RS7000 in a looooong time ...

Do you have to load ALL samples on start-up or just user samples?

And yes, it's big and ugly ... like most Yamaha gear ... I might be swayed by one of their smaller grooveboxes, though, in the future ...

• Members

I'm thinking Korg will have a new Electribe at Winter NAMM 09 ...

But I probably wouldn't get it any time soon ... Used gear is SUCH a better value ...

You say that now. The EMX and ESX have a lot of room for improvement.

• Members

It has 2MB of AWM2 ROM...or something. It doesn't need load time but I think switching patches might take a second.

What do you mean, "switching patches"?

As far as changing individual sounds/patches it does what all other synths do, i.e. choose a different patch and it plays it - sequencer running and everything.

But if you want to switch between different "styles" (yamaha speak for songs - or at least multitrack parts) - there will be a glitch, and it is not advisable to do on the fly. Unless you do glitch.

• Members

OK that's what I was talking about, switching styles while the sequencer is running.

Well, you can't do that on the fly.

- but then again, if you wanted to do one long performance you could program one single style to be extremely versatile since you can have a {censored}load of patterns within a style, the only restriction being that you can only have 16 different instruments with effects settings. (unless you want to switch those on the fly too).

Archived