New Flanger

• Members

My favorites are the EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress and the Ibanez Airplane Flanger, but both are board real estate hogs. I also liked the MXR Flanger. They all can do the big, thick, whooshing flange that I like the best, and all three allow you to freeze the sweep and control where the frozen spot is.

• Members

i dig my mxr flanger. really cant go wrong with it. if space is an issue, they just released the micro flanger which looks pretty cool, but idk how it sounds. the EM sounds pretty good from what i have heard, but ive never actually played one. i think the mxr is a little thicker and stuff.

but idk, the airplane flanger looks pretty awesome too.

• Members

Depends on what you are looking for... The FL-9 is very subtle, the MXR is good, but lacks the mojo of the electric mistress or ADA. Also skip the EVH model, as it's got a cool paint job, but not a lot more under the hood. If you are looking for full-on flanger richness... Check out the ADA!

• Members

Do you want "Swooshy Van Halen" or something a bit more tame? If you want the former, go with something that has "Airplane" in the name. If you want something that just adds some color and a bit of nice sweep, keep an eye on the MXR Micro Flanger or an FL-9.

• Members

I for one love the original Electric Mistress, but it has a nasty volume drop.

The Deluxe is nicer if you want a far wetter sound.

I had an original back in the 70s back when everyone was playing Van Halen tunes. It was pretty metalic sounding but you could get some decent tones out of it.

The dropouts could be caused by the trim pots inside not being set properly or getting out of adjustment kicking the thing around. I modified mine by adding full sized pots that would do what the trim pots would and could get a real wide range of tones from mine. Beat the hell out of it and it eventuall blew the power supply.

I used an old DOD flanger that did a pretty good job adter that. Now I just use an older Yamaha rack unit if I want flanger but thats a rare thing these days. I use a Chorus, phasor or a Leslie Simulator more these days. Those along with various echos /reverbs fit the bill for most things

• Members

Do you want "Swooshy Van Halen" or something a bit more tame? If you want the former, go with something that has "Airplane" in the name. If you want something that just adds some color and a bit of nice sweep, keep an eye on the MXR Micro Flanger or an FL-9.

I'm going to say the later, just something to add some more colour to my sound at times, I'm really liking the clip I have found of the frostbite, but can't seem to find one locally, the EM sounds like the best bang for the buck.

Archived