How to control a rack unit with 2 keyboards, without MIDI-THRU?

tackle

• Members

As the topic implies, I have a rack unit I intend to gig with. I also have 2 keyboards (Edirol PCR-M80 & an old Casio keyboard) that only has midi in/out, no thru.

The idea is to play the rack unit (Motif ES rack) and have each keyboard on a separate channel.

My initial thought was that I could probably buy some sort of midi hub to solve this, but I've found no such thing, neither in Sweden where I live or on any major online retailer.

How would you go about this problem?

• Members

Lol... ok? Wouldn't that be electrically dangerous?

Seriously though, could it be solved using any similar but more permanent approach?

I just don't feel like bringing a glass of water on stage all the time. I use a water bottle.

• Members

But how reliable is this? I don't want it to bork out on me mid-note.

And on a more serious note, this can't work, unless you employ multiple glasses of water for each pin in a midi-cable, dont you think?

• Members

Yes I found that one as well. Too bad it's so expensive, considering the simple process. But it'll have to do, no choice!

I wouldn't consider that to be expensive for a MIDI merger. Merging MIDI streams is not simply a matter of connectin wires together; Some processing of the input data has to be done to be sure that messages don't get scrambled together.

• Members

Yes I found that one as well. Too bad it's so expensive, considering the simple process. But it'll have to do, no choice!

I looked for one for you on eBay thinking it would be cheaper and couldn't believe finding one that's actually more expensive than the online retailer I mentioned, AND not including shipping.

I cannot believe how greedy these eBay thieves have become.

As for its expensiveness, it all depends on how frequently you'll be using it. If it's just for 1 gig, I understand your concern. If you gig a lot, well.... :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I think it's recently discontinued, but I use an Edirol UM-550 MIDI patch bay to tie together an Alesis, Triton, and Nord to a Motif Rack ES in the studio. I've used it in all sorts of configurations over the years, including a P-60/Triton/PCR-M80 to each other, the Motif Rack, and a VK-8M for live shows.

Here's a pic (4th space):

IMG_3085.jpg

• Members

I think it's recently discontinued, but I use an Edirol UM-550 MIDI patch bay to tie together an Alesis, Triton, and Nord to a Motif Rack ES in the studio. I've used it in all sorts of configurations over the years, including a P-60/Triton/PCR-M80 to each other, the Motif Rack, and a VK-8M for live shows.

Here's a pic (4th space):

IMG_3085.jpg

since you have an open slot, you might want to drop everything but the power conditioner down one slot, and leave a gap between it and your Motif. That cuts down on hum quite a bit.

HTH,

• Members

since you have an open slot, you might want to drop everything but the power conditioner down one slot, and leave a gap between it and your Motif. That cuts down on hum quite a bit.

HTH,

Thanks - that pic is about two years old, though. At the time I'd been planning to add a drawer to the bottom, but it never fit correctly and I gave up on it. I've since removed the IEM system (as I don't use this rig live anymore) and moved the mixer, MIDI bay, and Motif down.

It sure did hum, though, but only at one place we played. I think it was the house AC more than anything - it pretty much did it to everybody. They remodeled last year and no more hum.

Archived