T REX : Zinc Alloy & The Hidden Riders of Tomorrow

• Members

I'm going through another T REX phase (another of many in my life).

I know, I know what most of you all are going to post - that Electric Warrior T.REX, and Slider are his best. But those albums are already over-discussed and over-played.

I actually prefer MY PEOPLE..., PROPHETS..., BEARD OF STARS, TANX, and ZINC ALLOY. I like the unfocused and rambling quality of those albums.

So I've been thinking about ZINC in particular. The album was a total flop, and to this day few people other than hardcore Bolan fans ever really talk about it. Admittedly, the first time I listened to it 20 years ago, I thought it was a really stupid album, and regretted buying it. Now I'm listening to it again, and I'm hearing it in a very different light. It seems very contemporary and indie now - sort of MGMT, Flaming Lips, Amazing Baby, Animal Collective, etc.

It got me thinking - wouldn't it be great if the album were remixed by someone like David Fridmann? I would love to hear him massage the tracks, pull out a lot of the unnecessary wailings of Gloria Jones, and present Bolan's vision in the way that all of his fans would like to hear him.

Thoughts?

120358_1_f.jpg

[YOUTUBE]U5QgrRlo63A[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]kwaAYc9sI8A[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I love T-Rex, but really only "Electric Warrior", "The Slider" (LOTS) and "Tanx". Dunno.....I just don't really like the unicorns and trolls of the early folk, and the sort of funk of the albums after that.

I think TANX and Beard of Stars are my favorites.

I love TANX because it really explores a wider variety of grooves and styles compared to Electric Warrior and Slider, and it goes more over the edge into psychedelic weirdness. "The Street & Babe Shadow" is such a great groove.

Beard of Stars if only for "Elemental Child."

[YOUTUBE]zf4F1pBAbmU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]7xhBp1Kogh8[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Oh, Wait, I'm thinking of "Bolan's Zip Gun". "Zinc Alloy" isn't too bad, about as good as "Futuristic Dragon".

I just downloaded Futuristic Dragon. :love: Me likey!

"Ride My Wheels" is totally awesome! I can't believe I've never heard this song before.

[YOUTUBE]PYZCmwRal_c[/YOUTUBE]

Archived