Decent Synth module on the cheap..Opinions

• Members

Hi all,

I am yet another guitarist, who recently decided to go the midi guitar route (Godin XTSA into a Roland GI-20 midi interface) and need some advice opinions on a decent sounding Rompler or sound module.

I am planning on using this unit for live use only with emphasis on orchestral sounds .....i.e.- strings, piano, cellos, violins, pads blended with my guitar's output. I am already using soft synths for my home recordings with great results(orchestral, trilogy, etc)....strictly looking for a hardware piece for my live rig.

Any recommendations?, what's the best bang for my $$ (sub $200 if possible)

• Members

I can recommend a used JV1010 which has a lot of decent bread'n'butter sounds. Dirt cheap and it seems to be what you need.

If you're lucky you can even get a JV1080 for that money

A JV-1010 for live use ?!?!? Are you NUTS ? :eek:

If you change anything while playing a note, MIDI goes by by. The level between patches flucuates wildly (from can't hear it to LOUD), and the 3 digit LED screen doesn't tell you squat about where you are , especially if changing patches via MIDI.

Other Roland stuff is just as good. JV-880 (with an expansion card to boot) , JV-1080 and Maybe even a 2080 can all be had on E-bay for $200.00 or less.

Or maybe an Alesis QSR plus one of the Q-cards....

• Members

Thanks for the opinions...I am happy with the GI-20 for a MIDI interface-i prefer to not add to my pedalboard (too much on it already) How about a Korg 05 r/w found one pretty cheap. I know there are a lot of sysex files floating around on the web for it.....how are the strings and pads?

• Members

Thanks for the opinions...I am happy with the GI-20 for a MIDI interface-i prefer to not add to my pedalboard (too much on it already) How about a Korg 05 r/w found one pretty cheap. I know there are a lot of sysex files floating around on the web for it.....how are the strings and pads?

Hey guitarnine - good to hear from another Jersey guy... :thu:

I have a Korg 01W/R I'm not using, strings and pads are cool - I bought it to use for MIDI sequences but never got the ball rolling... I'll sell it to you cheap since you're in NJ - PM me. :lol:

BTW, where are you located? I'm outside Morristown, NJ

:cool:

• Members

How about a Korg 05 r/w found one pretty cheap. I know there are a lot of sysex files floating around on the web for it.....how are the strings and pads?

I had one and I loved it. Yes, there are thousands of Sysex files for it. It has the typical Korg sound. I used it for Tinkly/Evolving/Swirling stuff.

The only reason I sold it was cuz I needed room on my rack.

Archived