Mellencamp and the Fall of the Music Industry

• Members

Hey americans, what about college radio these days? What state is it in? Do people still listen to it?

I'm not sure about America, but where I live in this part of Canada, it wouldn't exist without handouts and funding and fundraising (see my response earlier in this thread). Even the specialty shows on national CBC Radio like Brave New Waves and Nightlines (where i'd be able to hear various non-commercial underground artists in the 90's as "alternative" music got more commercial) got the boot a few years ago. CBC Radio is funded by tax dollars, and eventually someone at the top probably asked "who actually is interested in listening to all this obscure music at 2 in the morning?" and maybe they did ratings polls or whatever. Obviously there wasn't enough support for it, but really, the arts and the support for the arts would dry up if there wasn't enough tax money dumped into those sorts of things.

• Members

"It's all about the music. It's not about money, it's about creating relevant a... Wait. Chevy wants to pay me WHAT?!?"

Heh heh, that was probably part of the new way that older artists will have to sell records that he had mentioned in the article...ie: the Bruce Springsteen/ WalMart axis. I think that there will be more "sacred" songs sold to sell commercials, like "Blowin In The Wind" and Beatles songs and whatnot. When the old structure collapsed, artists had to scramble....I suppose that they look like the bad guys, but I guess if they have a certain lifestyle to maintain (and all those ex-wives' alimony payments!) they probably reconsider a few otherwise upheld morals or values.

• Members

I'm not sure about America, but where I live in this part of Canada, it wouldn't exist without handouts and funding and fundraising (see my response earlier in this thread). Even the specialty shows on national CBC Radio like Brave New Waves and Nightlines (where i'd be able to hear various non-commercial underground artists in the 90's as "alternative" music got more commercial) got the boot a few years ago. CBC Radio is funded by tax dollars, and eventually someone at the top probably asked "who actually is interested in listening to all this obscure music at 2 in the morning?" and maybe they did ratings polls or whatever. Obviously there wasn't enough support for it, but really, the arts and the support for the arts would dry up if there wasn't enough tax money dumped into those sorts of things.

Thank you for replying to my question.

I know Melbourne, Au is in the enviable position of having top class independent radio stations, 3RRR & 3PBS -- and while they're making slow moves to broadcast via the net as well (and so maybe pick up subscribers=donations internationally) they're still mostly a local thing.

Archived