any supercollider users here?

kooki_sf

• Members

kooki are you limited in MAX/MSP (and don't you use ChucK too)?

I was excited with the idea of max 5, but when they actually released it, it kinda didnt really do much for me. I like the community of people sharing patches and such, but the whole thing seems kinda odd in that you have to pay a price for it. its like an open source club with membership fees in a way. also, getting more experience with actual coding in my other work( C++ and java), max just feels overly convoluted and kinda inconsistent in its design. I was using the jitter extension pretty heavily as well, and as soon as they integrated openGL, it seemed apparent i was paying way to much for a wrapper that wasnt actually helpful in anyway.

chuck is fun and great, but its frequency domain processing is still in its infancy.

• Members

I have used the Cornell High Energy Synchotron Source (CHESS) at the Wilson Lab at Cornell

http://www.lns.cornell.edu/Research/AP/CESR/WebHome.html

but I have never used a super collider. As you may know, the US DOE's super conducting super collider project was canceled after about 2 billion in spending.

A visit to a facility like the Wilson Lab can be a humbling experience. The CHESS facility at Cornell is a small side project compared with the huge high energy particle physics research performed there. The magnitude of the experiments is very difficult to comprehend unless you get to spend some time working there. The CHESS facility is basically a very high energy X-Ray source that is used for various x-ray absorption and diffraction (crytallography).

Archived