Triton Extreme + MOSS + Nord Rack II + Pulse -> Prophet 08?

depulse

• Members
I use NI Guitar Rig & some PSP plugins for that right now. I was thinking about getting a VF-1 for a while, but I don't think it's worth it for me to use it as an outboard processor with my current AD/DA. Maybe someday when I upgrade to Lucid converters. However, it may be worth it to me as a dedicated filter for the Prophet.

-D

The Lexicon MX300 is a better filter for the Prophet IMO. Grab a VF-1 to make your digital gear sound analog. :thu:

I don't personally like the Prophet through the VF-1. The signal sounds too saturated in my opinion. Even with the overdrive off. The P'08 is aggressive and needs taming. The Lexicon chorus does a better job.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

wouldn't bail the triton extreme- its an awesome everything synth especially with the Moss board. Ive got the original Triton I bought new the 2nd month it was out fully loaded with the Moss board and it has been the center of my synths since day one. Just a brilliant synth... Too bad build quality leaves something to be desired.

But I still, when working on a timecrunch, always start on the triton. 4 CDs later and countless clients keep that board in the center even now that its time in the sun has come and gone. I still use it to make drum tracks for pop- and if you do it right you will NOT notice it from real unless you are looking... I walked into the last drums I did being mixed in the big room and I asked why they replaced me with a real drummer- they didn't.... And that was an Earth Wind and Fire song! I have really nice tracking gear though and real outboard to use, so that helps IMMENSLEY...

And for instant gratification, the sequencer is awesome. No where near logic but for quick on the fly- its perfect.

That synth will remain the center piece until it completely falls apart and I have logic and Protools HD. Its just a monster! But I also prefer to do the majority of editing AFTER tracking so it sounds like you work differently.

If YOU aren't using it constantly - who cares what I say! Just that touch screen is the KING of workflow for me!:love: And very usable sounds- not perfect but always gets the job done!

• Members

Prophet keyboard lightly used (2months) here for $1550. I was planning on buying the module ($1500) today. I use a novation controller. Any reason I should pick up the keyboard version vs. the module? I was going module for space considerations, but if there are advantages for the keyboard version it would be hard to pass up for the lower price!

Edit: Just saw the prophet module for 1275 @ music123... I'll probably get the module... decisions decisions...

-D

• Members

Thanks guys for all your feedback.

After finally having spent some time with a Prophet 08 (an hour and a half) and a pair of good headphones I came to the conclusion that it wasn't the synth for me.

Comparing the P08 side by side with a Nord Lead 2x, a PEK, a vintage Prophet 5 it didn't convince me. The bass sounds were not as solid as my ATC-1, the Nord sounds as good as the P08 in the middle registers. It just doesn't sound much more analog than a Nord IMHO. The PEK has a more agressiv tone. I couldn't easily get good sounds out of the P08, something I get without trying from my ATC-1. It sounds cheap, something like the old Crumar/Bit 99 synths or the old Akai analogs. All my personal opinion, I'm happy for the ones of you who like the P08. I really wanted to buy it.

In the end I will keep the Extreme + MOSS. Just to get something new I picked up a Blofeld. :lol:

Archived