(ot) Overdraft fees.....how do you deal.

darryl2112

• Members

Same {censored} happened to me, and the answer is, you bend over and take it up the pooper. It won't be legal come July/August, and they know it, and banks have taken steps to improve the monetization of fee scheduling in the meantime. Just take some comfort in the fact that when the revolution comes, they'll be the first against the wall :mad:

• Members

Agreed- revolution? against not spending money you dont have? im pretty sure that if theres a revolution against paying for what you agreed to its going to pretty disorganized and noone will show up or theyll forget and itll be someone elses fault.

i agree that most fees are too much ,though. $25- $35 is insane.
:)

• Members

You just go into your bank at a time when they are usually quite busy and tell them you aren't going to accept their fees because it wasn't your fault. Create a massive queue behind you and talk calmly but loudly, they will tell you they can't but it's bollocks all they have to do is change the numbers on the screen.. after a while the bank manager will probably come over, tell him what's happened and tell him you aren't happy and if they don't reverse the charges you will take your banking elsewhere .... buy this time they will be so sick of you they will reverse the charges just to get you out of the building....

It's worked twice for me. ;)

• Members

The socioeconomics of it are straightforward. They make money off of the upper middle class because the upper middle class can provide them with savings accounts and CDs that are essentially the capital basis for the bank's investments. In return, upper middle class patrons are given the service of a modest interest and security that their money isn't going anywhere, security the market itself can't provide. By way of comparison, anyone who is ever at any risk of overdrafting - e.g. someone who lives paycheck to paycheck and so probably doesn't have much in the way of savings or even in the checking account - really present no opportunities for the bank to make money through longer term investments. So, in order to capitalize on the low-income population that still needs a place to put their money, they have punitively high fee schedules in the name of "providing a service" to the consumer.

tl;dr=you're {censored}ed and they have you by the balls

Agreed- revolution? against not spending money you dont have? im pretty sure that if theres a revolution against paying for what you agreed to its going to pretty disorganized and noone will show up or theyll forget and itll be someone elses fault.

Ah, but they have methods of juggling authorizations and holds so that they can nail you with cascading overdrafts even if you didn't spend more money than you have. Even if you would have a positive balance at the end of the day were overdraft fees waived (say because the overdrafts were triggered by a simultaneous hold and debit from the same business, which normally wouldn't be the case except lately policies regarding authorizations have shifted toward a more advantageous model for many banks), they don't waive the fees in the vast majority of cases because it's how they make money from poorer people.

I know you're, like, king troll around here, but this is a pretty serious issue, so serious that it is literally not going to be legal for them to do it anymore pretty soon, and they're taking steps to try and get while the getting's good.

• Members

they won't give you {censored} all back, however, if the company that took out a payment took it out on the wrong day, you may be able to get reimbursed from them...... {censored} i hate that overdraft {censored}.... mine are like $40 each time... nothing makes me rage more than that.

• Members
The socioeconomics of it are straightforward. They make money off of the upper middle class because the upper middle class can provide them with savings accounts and CDs that are essentially the capital basis for the bank's investments. In return, upper middle class patrons are given the service of a modest interest and security that their money isn't going anywhere, security the market itself can't provide. By way of comparison, anyone who is ever at any risk of overdrafting - e.g. someone who lives paycheck to paycheck and so probably doesn't have much in the way of savings or even in the checking account - really present no opportunities for the bank to make money through longer term investments. So, in order to capitalize on the low-income population that still needs a place to put their money, they have punitively high fee schedules in the name of "providing a service" to the consumer.

tl;dr=you're {censored}ed and they have you by the balls

Ah, but they have methods of juggling authorizations and holds so that they can nail you with cascading overdrafts even if you didn't spend more money than you have. I know you're, like, king troll around here, but this is a pretty serious issue, so serious that it is literally not going to be legal for them to do it anymore pretty soon, and they're taking steps to try and get while the getting's good.

pointing out the childishly naive perspective you were voicing doesnt make me a troll. it means i think you have an adorable perspective. awwww!;)

• Members

I wasn't paying attention the other day and accidentally overdrew by $2.50. I put $100 cash into the account as soon as I saw what happened. I didn't have to pay any outrageous overdraft fee. I think I got lucky, because they definitely charge them at my bank.

Best advice is to just be careful and watch that stuff like a hawk. When banks do stuff like let you keep checking accounts with no monthly fee and no minimum balance, they tend to make up for that with things like crazy overdraft fees.

Archived