Korg O1/W-Anyone own one.. what makes them special?

• Members

Well, I AM ignorant, because my mother language is French, so could you please tell me what romplers and va's are ?

Thanks so much.

And : for the price of 200 euros, is this a deal or not ??? I am not in a "cover band", I'd just like to mess around a bit with sounds...

Anyway, since I never possessed a keyboard, I guess that for that price, I can buy the 01/W and resell it when I am more experienced and want to go for something better...

What d'you think ?

• Members

Sure the 01/W had it's day but, newer romplers just sound better. You also show your ignorance by comparing romplers and va's. Learn more about how these different synth designs work before releasing the words from your fingers.

:idea:

I know how they work, moron. My point was that ROMplers are not POSs - they are not trying to mimic an analog subtractive synth, they are just trying to generate realistic sounds.

• Members

I know how they work, moron. My point was that ROMplers are not POSs - they are not trying to mimic an analog subtractive synth, they are just trying to generate realistic sounds.

Is the namecalling necessary?

If a rompler does not mimic an analog synth, how would you explain all the waves sampled from an analog synth? A rompler is an allround keyboard, trying to mimic acoustic, realistic sounds AND nonrealistic synths.

Guest Anonymous

:rolleyes:

Okay.

Actually romplers can reproduce analog synth sounds very good if the waves are good samples and va's like the Radias and Waldorf synths are better at digital sounds. Most old romplers sound thin without there effects. Just listen to a M1, O1/W and N1 with the effects off. Then compare these to newer romplers like the M3 and Motif. After these comparisons tell me the older romplers sound as authentic at acoustic sounds as newer romplers. Hence the older romplers are a POS statement.

FYI. I just sold my 01R/W and N1R because I'm tired of old thin rompler sounds trying to be hidden by to many effects. The only old rompler I have left are the JD-800/990 and a Wavestation AD/SR. These are old romplers worth keeping in my opinion.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

In it's days Korg 01W/fd was league of it's own. It came out in 1991. At that time there was Yamaha SY77 and SY99 that were limited in polyphony (FMx16 and AWMx16, easily eaten up) and later SY88 had only 8 track sequencer. Roland didn't have real 16 track sequencer workstation until XP-50 was introduced in 1995 (that 4 years of difference!), and so on...

It was an easy, straightforward design, with easy to use sequencer, polyphony was 32, just enough, and actually great compared to others. It's 32 KHz samples were giving a certain character to the tone which you could hate or love, and often it depended of the sound you played. I was a bit annoyed by the dull sounding engine, but it had extra nice French Horn ("FrenchGuys" I think), Cello, Choir, Harp, Pipe Organs, Woodwinds and Timpani. Weak points somewhat for Strings and utterly disappointing Trumpet and Piano.

• Members

What? AI2 strings can be really thick and cut through the mix. Don't forget the infamous BigStrings preset that made Nightwish famous! And it's practically the same in 01W and N364 (which NW used), minus the sample rate.

I have an X5D, which is N364s smaller brother, but they share exactly the same ROM. I know what I'm talking about. Those strings are LUSH and FAT and KICK ASS! :cop:

Archived