EHX Wiggler /issues?

• Members

i'm considering pulling the trigger on a wiggler and have for quite some time now

Yet researching a bit more in depth i've found people to have an issue with a Thump noise when engaging the pedal. Do they all have this thump noise?

not too worried about noise, hopefully not as noisy as the worm

how unreliable are they?

share your thoughts please.

• Members

I don't remember any 'thump' with mine and it wasn't noisy either.

as for reliability I had to send my for repair once, it just stopped working.. :idk: that may have been me when I was messing with the tubes though.

I got rid in the end because although it sounded beautiful on clean or cleanish guitar, I found it coloured the sound too much to use with a lot of distortion.. it's almost like it's got a built in 'amp sim' for all the different modes so it changes the tone quite a lot when you engage it and I didn't like what it did to my fuzzy sound.

• Members

yeah i remember the issue with yours, but i guess that's a one off

so did it alter the tone even with the Tremolo settings with a fuzzy guitar?

it shouldn't that much? its only a tremolo!!

for the vibrato settings i assume it would

as far as the pgs demo goes, it sounds wonderful

• Members

yeah i remember the issue with yours, but i guess that's a one off

so did it alter the tone even with the Tremolo settings with a fuzzy guitar?

it shouldn't that much? its only a tremolo!!

for the vibrato settings i assume it would

as far as the pgs demo goes, it sounds wonderful

yeah, it does... some more dramatic that others, that's basically what differs in the different modes, it's tonal qualities.... it's not really just a tremolo it supposed to give you the warmth and tonal qualities of a range of tube tremolos I suppose. it's more like a tube pre-amp with tremolo. You can turn the 'depth' down slam it with a boost and use it as a tube overdrive. :lol:

• Members

This pedal is basically a tube preamp, so not noise-free, but the noise-floor is still under normal level when you play. If you don't play and listen the noise with your single-coil-equiped guitar in front of your computer, well that's a different story :D

If you keep the setting around 10:00, everything will remain normal. Most musical sounds would happen in this range anyway. EHX has enormous room for the 'leftfield' and people are not aware of this fact when they set up the pedals. See Youtube videos for examples.

I liked how the pedal imitates the Uni-Vibe textures, the Vox tremolo and the Wurlitzer tremolo. The Hamm setting is more the Hammond vibrato than rotary speaker effect and I needed stereo Leslie simulator (which I still use in mono since :), so I sold the unit. I'm sure it will come back one time.

• Members

I can't really say much more on this pedal because there have been some good descriptions. I can comment on my experience. I got one a few weeks a go. I use it as tremolo mostly and also as a boost. I notice no thump when I turn it on but when I'm using it as a boost, I turn the intensity and rate all the way down and crank the volume to around 10 oclock or noon. It boosts great, but there is this "heartbeat" you can hear thumping at the setting on the rate knob.

You wont notice this if your playing through it in this setup, but if your just idling, you gotta click it off to shut it up. No biggy though. I freaking love this thing!

Archived