JBL PRX512s - Anyone using them (Gigman Perhaps)?

Palaver

• Members

Hey guys,

I've been on a PA hunt. I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with these boxes? I'm a big fan of JBL products, and this box looks like a real winner... especially with it's specs and it's only ~40lbs!

The Mackie and Yorkville alternatives are MUCH heavier, and the PRX series can be used as floor wedges.

The other powered speakers I've looked at/researched:

Mackie SA1521z

Yorkville E10P

How does this speaker (JBL PRX12) perform with piano patches at both loud & soft levels? Any limiting problems?

Incase you're wondering why I am going with 12" speakers is because I would eventually grab the PRX sub... I know it's damn heavy, but for gigs requiring that, I'd have more than just myself anyway...

EDIT: BTW, I have no access to any PRXs to check out as of yet... hence, why I ask.

• Members

I tried them in the store briefly, when shopping for keyboard stage monitors. The sneaky salesman switched on a pair of PRX515s, and I ended up bringing them home because they had such bigger bass.

I returned them a couple weeks later because I really didn't want to carry anything that big just for stage monitors.

Both the 512s and 515s have a very smooth balanced midrange and high frequency sound, much more refined and pleasant than the run of the mill powered Mackie and JBL Eon ilk.

Be aware that there is a limiter inside which can't be turned off. It reportedly does some funny things to piano decay when being used for monitoring solo piano, but shouldn't be audible when used for its intended purpose.

• Members

Hey guys,

I've been on a PA hunt. I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with these boxes? I'm a big fan of JBL products, and this box looks like a real winner... especially with it's specs and it's only ~40lbs!

The Mackie and Yorkville alternatives are MUCH heavier, and the PRX series can be used as floor wedges.

The other powered speakers I've looked at/researched:

Mackie SA1521z

Yorkville E10P

How does this speaker (JBL PRX12) perform with piano patches at both loud & soft levels? Any limiting problems?

Incase you're wondering why I am going with 12" speakers is because I would eventually grab the PRX sub... I know it's damn heavy, but for gigs requiring that, I'd have more than just myself anyway...

EDIT: BTW, I have no access to any PRXs to check out as of yet... hence, why I ask.

Hey Palaver -

I haven't heard or tried the JBL PRX series - 12's or 15's... but I have eyeballed them in catalogues and online - does that count? :facepalm::p ha ha!

Still using my JBL EON15 G2's - on occasion, anyway... used 'em Sunday night as stage monitors for the band for a summer concert at a local park for vocals and little keys in there as well (we were set up on the top steps of a gazebo) . Used my Motion Sound KP200S as a keyboard amp/stage monitor, sitting way up high on 4 milk crates so it was completely at ear level... yet the guitarist told me the next day he had trouble hearing me 1st set 'til I turned up the KP200S. It must be very directional, even though it's a stereo amp...

Anyway, I rented powered subs from a local sound guy (to give me some extra bottom end to the EONs) a month or two for an outdoor gig - I was actually DJ'ing an all-night walkathon event for American Cancer Society - so this sound guy told me he had heard the PRX and didn't see that much improvement over the EONs, in fact he said he really didn't the PRX much at all... who knows - you'd have to compare 'em side by side to really hear the difference, I guess... but the PRX series does seem to be positioned as an even higher-end speaker than the EONs.

I think you should also consider the unpowered JBL "MRX" series - the MRX12's are even lighter still & if you match them of those lightweight (though expensive) power amps like the Crown XTI series or the QSC PLX series, you then have a comparitively lightweight, yet kick-ass powerful, expandable system (you can add subs later on). :love::thu:

• Members

Thanks guys.

The reason why I posted on this forum and not 'Live Sound' is simply because I wanted to hear from other keys players using powered monitors.

The PRX series looks great, but I've heard a couple of times about a limiter kicking in and out during piano sustains (during solo quieter piano sessions). This would certainly suck, seeing that the limiter on the PRX cannot be turned off.

Archived