How to fix couple FX pedals?

Thorhead

• Members

So it seems like couple of my FX pedals are broken or something...

First is a Sans amp GT-2, it just plain old doesnt power up when I press the ON button. It might be the problem is with the adaptor, but I dont think so. Any ideas how to fix this?

Second, Boss RV-3, It just somehow sounds funny when I play many notes in a row, sounds like the delay disappears when playing repeated notes(Maybe its just my head or its a usual effect). Also sometimes out of nowhere the delayed notes get distorted and loud. This is probably problem with the adaptor, why dont these pedals like power adaptors? Is there anyway to fix it?

Third, is the Danelectro TOD v. 2.0 It just doesnt like power adapter at all, if I connect it to power adapter there is horrible very loud noise, and the drive doesnt sound right either. This is by the way the same power adapter as the RV-3...

• Members

Well the common denominator seems to be the power supply. Are you sure you're not using a 9V
AC
supply instead of DC?

Hmm, the adaptor says 9V AC indeed (that means its AC?)... But WTF, my other pedals do work flawlessly

Also the sans amp GT2 worked before, if I open it up can I determinate if it should work or not by measuring current somewhere?

• Members

Well if it says 9V AC it's the wrong adapter. To see if there's really anything wrong with it you need to test it with a 9V DC adapter first and see whether it works with the correct supply.

If they don't work with the correct adapter then there's a good chance the AC has fried them and it'll probably need looking at by someone who fixes effect pedals. You'll find people who do this on DIY Stompboxes or Free Stomp Boxes.

• Members

Well if it says 9V AC it's the wrong adapter. To see if there's really anything wrong with it you need to test it with a 9V DC adapter first and see whether it works with the correct supply.

If they don't work with the correct adapter then there's a good chance the AC has fried them and it'll probably need looking at by someone who fixes effect pedals. You'll find people who do this on DIY Stompboxes or Free Stomp Boxes.

I dont believe they are fried, how could they fry with the same amount of voltage? Even if it is AC. Can someone explain, why the pedals work so well with the AC adaptor anyway?

The Sans amp GT-2 might be fried though. I want to know how to find out if thats case, cause I have traditional current meter, and can do it myself...

• Members

9V AC is not the same thing as 9V DC. From what I understand, and is the easiest way to understand, the difference between AC and DC is the direction at which the electrons flow. In DC all the electrons are going 'forward' (relative to) but in AC, they can go forward or backward.

It may seem insignificant, but your pedals that need DC cannot see AC or they will not be happy (and most likely kill themselves). Is your adapter an effect one (boss, ibanez, godlyke, onespot, etc), or is it just one you pulled from somewhere? Does it work on other pedals (if you haven't tried already, don't try it now)?

• Members

9V AC is not the same thing as 9V DC. From what I understand, and is the easiest way to understand, the difference between AC and DC is the direction at which the electrons flow. In DC all the electrons are going 'forward' (relative to) but in AC, they can go forward or backward.

It may seem insignificant, but your pedals that need DC cannot see AC or they will not be happy (and most likely kill themselves). Is your adapter an effect one (boss, ibanez, godlyke, onespot, etc), or is it just one you pulled from somewhere? Does it work on other pedals (if you haven't tried already, don't try it now)?

I know what AC and DC is. I have hard time getting how these pedals could kill themselves with AC, since there is really not "one directional" components in them that I know off at least.

Its a ZOOM adapter.

Uh BTW, I just tried the TOD with DC adapter, and it still doesnt work, but with batteries it does, WTF?

• Members

I know what AC and DC is. I have hard time getting how these pedals could kill themselves with AC,
since there is really not "one directional" components in them that I know off at least.

What, apart from electrolytic capacitors, op-amps, and (if you're lucky) polarity protection diodes?

• Members

Is this the zoom one you have?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AD0006D/

It's the only one I could find, and it is DC, even though it says AC on it. That should be ok with your pedals. Next thing to see is have they always done this? Have you used any other adapters with them that may have caused them to mess up? Have they been hit by a surge at any time?

• Members

What, apart from electrolytic capacitors, op-amps, and (if you're lucky) polarity protection diodes?

Well the OP amp comes to my mind but its going to be obvious if thats broken. Also usually if something brakes there is going to be smoke.

Actually I got the Sans amp to work now =).

I dont know whats up with the TOD drive though, anyone else had problems with one?

• Members

Uh BTW, I just tried the TOD with DC adapter, and it still doesnt work, but with batteries it does, WTF?

If it works with battery but not DC supply then you've probably blown a protection diode. Open it up and look at the components around where the supply enters the PCB. If it's a blown diode then it'll be obvious because it'll probably be surrounded by soot with a big hole in it.

• Members

Is this the zoom one you have?

It's the only one I could find, and it is DC, even though it says AC on it. That should be ok with your pedals. Next thing to see is have they always done this? Have you used any other adapters with them that may have caused them to mess up? Have they been hit by a surge at any time?

Yes, I kind of thought that it has to be DC afterall.

I think the delay pedal might be acting up cause I have 4 pedals on the same adapter. But dunno.

The TOD drive just refuses to work with any adapter completely.

• Members

Those things only provide 300mA- not enough to power 4 pedals when some of them are digital. Not enough current = voltage dips

Low voltage is causing problems in the digital pedal (RV3) almost certaintly and if there's not enough voltage or current to power on the sansamp it could be that too.

• Members

Those things only provide 300mA- not enough to power 4 pedals when some of them are digital. Not enough current = voltage dips

Low voltage is causing problems in the digital pedal (RV3) almost certaintly and if there's not enough voltage or current to power on the sansamp it could be that too.

Might be very well the case...

Anyway all the pedals work fine (even the delay most of the time) except the TOD overdrive, it only works with batteries. I dont think I have blown anything scince there hasnt been smoke, BUT these are 20 euro pedals so, it might have been broken when I got it.

With Sans amp the problem was, I have an adapter that has multiple heads, well I inserted the head wrong way around to the cable. Duh.

• Members

You might have missed the smoke, or it might have not been a lot. Either way, your next action is definitely the circuity between the powersupply and the circuit. If you have a multimeter, it would help.

Are there known problems with these pedals?

Archived