MicowaveXT wavetable help

• Members

So I just got my MicrowaveXT and now I'm going through the various wavetables and I'm kinda surprised how similar the tones are within each wavetable and even between the different wavetables themselves. Most sound like there's just some filtering done on the base wave and that's about it.

Since I obviously bought the unit used, I'm curious if the previous user messed with the factory wavetables. Is this even possible with wavetable editing software? I'd think not since it's ROM, but I want to make sure.

• Members

Yeah, that was the first place I went to before asking the question here. Trouble is I have no reference point as to what the factory wavetables are.

I guessing that everything's fine, since they are the first 65 tables and they should be in ROM and uneditable and the preset patches themselves sound fine (as far as I can tell).

I think I was just expecting the differences in the wavetables to be drastic and crazy and that just isn't the case.

Not that I'm complaining... just making sure I'm starting off with the proper defaults.

• Members

Hello,

If the seller didn't include a copy of the XT manual, it would probably be a good idea to download and print a copy.

There is a great deal of documentation posted around for the XT. I believe, details on the factory wavetables are on Carbon's site.

Regards,

Lawrence

• Members

Some of the wavetables I have illustrated here in detailed charts:

http://www.carbon111.com/xtwavetables.html

To get a feel for what's going on, create a one-oscillator patch with a wide-open filter and lots of amp sustain, assign the modwheel to wavetable position in the modmatrix with a value of 63, turn limit to "on" on that oscillator, set startwave to 0 and try variuous wavetables in the patch, scrolling through them in realtime with the modwheel.

An automated way of doing the same thing is here:

http://www.carbon111.com/browser.html

There's a lot of extreme timbral variety to be had in just the preset wavetables themselves.

• Members

Some of the wavetables I have illustrated here in detailed charts:

To get a feel for what's going on, create a one-oscillator patch with a wide-open filter and lots of amp sustain, assign the modwheel to wavetable position in the modmatrix with a value of 63, turn limit to "on" on that oscillator, set startwave to 0 and try variuous wavetables in the patch, scrolling through them in realtime with the modwheel.

An automated way of doing the same thing is here:

There's a lot of
extreme timbral variety
to be had in just the preset wavetables themselves.

Yeah, that's basically what I did. It's the extreme part that I wasn't hearing. Perhaps my filter wasn't open all the way in the INIT patch.

Archived