Voodoo Lab tremolo - your thoughts?

• Members

So, I have a blackface Fender Pro Reverb and a Vox AC15, and I love the trem in both amps. But my other amps don't have trem, so I want a pedal that will give me a similar sound.

I just ordered a Voodoo Lab trem. I tried a Fulltone Supa Trem at the store but they didn't have a Voodoo Lab. I really liked the Fulltone, but it was more expensive and, if anything, maybe a little too clean. The VL by most accounts seems like it'll be more like the vintage tube amp trem sound.

Anybody here have experience with this pedal? And if I don't like it, any other recommendations? I already know I don't like the cheap yellow Dan Electro, or the Boss. And I don't want to spend a gajillion dollars on some boutique pedal. I also don't really need a ton of parameters - simple speed and depth controls are enough for me, though if it has a few more bells and whistles I won't complain.

• Members

you know, I couldn't find a significant difference between the four-knobber and, say, a Boss trem. Not that either of them are bad; it's just that I was expecting the VL to sound more "vintage".

The best amp-like trem I've messed with is the EHX Wiggler. However, I now use some diy'd job that does more stuff than just amp-trem sounds. But I would love to have a Wiggler (just don't really need one).

• Members

If you end up not liking it check out an Outlaw Effects Bluebird Tremolo. It's cheap, hand built, and the guy who builds them is really easy to work with. There is a youtube clip that is pretty accurate if you ever want to check it out.

• Members
you know, I couldn't find a significant difference between the four-knobber and, say, a Boss trem. Not that either of them are bad; it's just that I was expecting the VL to sound more "vintage".

The thing about the Boss trem that I don't like is that it's kind of a tone sucker, and there's a noticeable drop in volume when the trem is engaged. Not true bypass, IIRC. I like the fact that the VL has a volume knob so you can compensate for this if you want (or not if you don't). Word is it also makes a decent clean boost with the trem controls all the way down.

Yeah, I've heard great things about the Wiggler, and the Carl Martin sounds like it'd be really cool also. So many pedals, so little time. :lol: I wish there was a store where I could just compare a whole bunch of them, but I don't think there is. Meanwhile I have gigs coming up where I need the pedal, so... we'll see how the VL works out and if it ain't so hot, I'll send it back and try another.

Archived