Nord Lead 3 or Virus Ti

• Members

Yep, we know that the TI can do this. But there is some appeal to the split and layer button. How easy to push to try things instead of going into the multi menu and set things up by changing a dozen numbers.

What does the nord do that so easy then with this? I've Not used one enough.

On the TI - hit multi - select a patch. Use part up/down to select anotehr part, ten go select a patch, repeat...

You do need to menu dive to change the channel (ie layer) and change the split points, but not the basic sounds so I also have a couple of multi patches set up with common split range and layers so in practice all I have to do is set the sounds and levels I want alot of the time.

• Members

For dance punk the Nord is HANDS DOWN the winner.

People..... he isn't going to be sequencing 16 parts on a synth if he is in a dance punk band. Nords just fit better with electric guitars and live drums.

There is a reason every indie rock band, (poor or otherwise) use Nords (and micro korgs blah)

Ask your son if he is into these bands:

The Rapture

!!!

Cut Copy

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

If he says yes then he is looking for a Nord.

• Members

If he wants to get into sequencing and recording, most DAW:s come with a bunch of plug-ins. Logic for instance has really good internal synths.

One important aspect is that the Nord is easier to get a grip of. If I were to get a VA today, I'd probably get the Virus, because of my fetisch for 16-part multitimbrality and lots of flexibility. :D But I already know synths pretty well. I gig with a PEK+PER combo, a Nord Modular G2 and a Little Phatty, I have an Andromeda, a Code8, a Cwejman and a bunch of other synths in the studio. Not to mention a PC3x, an M3-73 and a couple of racks.

But I didn't start out with this much gear; I started gigging with a Nord Lead and a Rhodes. There were enough presets on the Nord to get me started, and by slowly but surely dissecting the presets I was able to make my own, and I always had the Rhodes to rely on. At an early stage of making music, it's probably more rewarding to have an 'instant' synth that you can tweak on the fly than a multitimbral powerhouse with 16 filter types and stuff you won't use for a couple of years anyway. Just my two cents. :)

• Members

For dance punk the Nord is HANDS DOWN the winner.

People..... he isn't going to be sequencing 16 parts on a synth if he is in a dance punk band. Nords just fit better with electric guitars and live drums.

There is a reason every indie rock band, (poor or otherwise) use Nords (and micro korgs blah)

The Rapture

!!!

Cut Copy

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

John Mc,

I thought the sound of the Nord was more 'brittle' and prefered the more mellow sound of the Virus when played alone However I take it you are saying that this brighter sound cuts through the mix better??

Appreciate your thoughts.

• Members

The Rapture

!!!

Cut Copy

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Attribution is a curious way to choose a synth.

How about something meaningful like: The TI is 16 complete Virus synths.

• Members

Attribution - had to actually look up the meaning online. If I understand your point, it seems this is the way 17 year olds seem to select everything. Need a new guitar - Fender Tele cos Block Party use em. New Amp, same reason. Its ALL about image and brand. As dad was buying, we got something else (Strat Delux and Mesa Express 5:50, totally awesome combo, even the kid agrees now).

In the case of the synth, he's paying. I'm just trying to get him to appreciate that buying right the first time is the cheapest possible way to get anything. That's way I'm tellin him don't consider the price. Buy what will serve you well now, but just as important to consider will it serve you well into the future as you progress. If it all comes in one 'box' in the TI then this seems a big plus, if it won't work from him eg. to difficult to drive initially or give him the sounds he's after, that obviously another story.

Just checked some online prices and you certainly can get Lead 2x and a Snow TI for the same price as a Virus TI keyboard.

• Members

> $3200 in a {censored} american economy!

Yeah, synth prices have gotten out of control. The Virus TI is like 4 years old. All the previous models reduced in price over time where the TI seems to have increased. (Yes, Access we notice the sneek price increase right when you release the Virus Snow.)

By comparision I picked up a Virus b desktop, brand new, at mid life cycle for $1399. While each model does add more features, the price/feature/market availability time seems way out of wack.

It not with just access either. I'm sure part of it is the weak dollar/inflation, but still over $1400 for a Virus Snow which is a cut down version of a 4 year old synth is hard to swallow. It should be around $1000. Dont even get me started on the V-Synth XT (which is at the top of my new gear list) for a whopping $2200 new....

Let the price ranting begin!

• Members

It not with just access either. I'm sure part of it is the weak dollar/inflation, but still over $1400 for a Virus Snow which is a cut down version of a 4 year old synth is hard to swallow. It should be around $1000. Dont even get me started on the V-Synth XT (which is at the top of my new gear list) for a whopping $2200 new....

Let the price ranting begin!

Who do you expect to pick up the tab for your {censored}ty home economy? Access? Quite a few companies have had to put up prices in th US and those that havnt are ripping off the rest of the world to make up the losses.

Countries have gone to war over less and I know without a doubt if it was the rest of the world screwing up your economy we would have a 4th world war on our hands.

• Members

Who do you expect to pick up the tab for your {censored}ty home economy? Access? Quite a few companies have had to put up prices in th US and those that havnt are ripping off the rest of the world to make up the losses.

Countries have gone to war over less and I know without a doubt if it was the rest of the world screwing up your economy we would have a 4th world war on our hands.

Err, ok.

I don

• Members

If that would be the truth I would have bought one already. The truth is that it really depends on the complexity of the sound, the even or uneven multi slot, and probably on the moon phase. People consistently report that above 4 multis they get cut outs. That is the reason i still stuck to the older version of Virus.

• Members

:freak:

:facepalm:

I can't seem to find where the synthman blamed the rest of the world for the dodgy economy...let alone declaring a third and fourth world war over the price of synths...

• Members

Well, both are virtual analogs... both have some things that are only their own features, so basically, the answer would be closer to "no". Every VA has their own sound. I would say that Virus has its own pallete of sounds, and Nord has its own. So...

• Members

Guys,

Thanks for all the good ideas and feedback. Just a quick question regarding the Virus TI, can it be programmed to accurately produce the Nord sounds?

Thanks,

Just this question shows me that your son wants a NL3. I would say that you can program most stuff of the NL3 into the Virus, but it won't sound 100% the same. The Virus is known for the dark and mushy side whereas the Nord has much more presence in the song.

But that is all besides what your son really want. NLs are pretty reliable and even used they should last a long time.

Archived