So: Hype on older pedals is true.

thefyn

• Members

I prefer vintage to boutique. I'm not saying they're comparable, as vintage usually comes with a swagger of side-effects (bypass suck, noise, volume drops) but something about the history of the item appeals to me more.

I chose to pick up a CE-1 over the Retro-Sonic clone even though the CE-1 is huge, wall-warted, and the preamp totally {censored}s your bypass signal. I understand the Retro-Sonic addresses all of these issues, but for some reason I have to have the real deal. Same goes with EHX pedals - I'm usually only tempted by the 70s originals even if the company has reissued the pedal in largely the same format (micro synth, octave multiplexer)

• Members

Buying vintage gear isn't an
instant gratification
activity. I use RSS feeds and saved searches to keep an eye out on vintage stuff I want, and I wait patiently for months and sometimes years before I find something at a price I can be comfortable paying. There are a few items that still elude me, even after several years, but that's part of the fun of searching for it.

Anyway, most guys at HCFX would rather have the more accessible modern stuff instead of the vintage stuff. I'm one of the few around here who still give a {censored} about the old classics.

tell me about these rss feeds you speak of

• Members

Archived