The Power Tubes in my Vibrolux have turned...

• Members

usually the blue is from leaking air into the tube in really old ones.
i'd consider replacing them if they're long in the tooth.
but some tubes to glow blue, and that doesn't mean they're bad...other than the orange glow of the heaters, most tubes do kinda glow blue anyways.

• Members

I heard that this indicates poor performance of the crystal lattice. Those loose electrons are the weak ones carrying inferior frequencies that can't pass through, and they'll contribute to a buildup of bad tone in your amp until everything sounds like ass.

Bottom line: you needs a Dumble.

[YOUTUBE]iVTj08qTwGw[/YOUTUBE]

• Members
Sometimes handling them (with bare hands) will make them glow blue. My mate used to do it on purpose because you could see them through the front of his head and he thought it looked cool.
:facepalm:

I always try to wipe them off when I put them (back) in an amp...

• Members

I heard that this indicates poor performance of the crystal lattice. Those loose electrons are the weak ones carrying inferior frequencies that can't pass through, and they'll contribute to a buildup of bad tone in your amp until everything sounds like ass.

Bottom line: you needs a Dumble.

Damn those crystal lattice's, LOL

• Members

Power tubes glowing blue/purple usually result from the amp being turned on with out a load attached, ie your amp may have been used without speakers which is NOT a good thing to do.

I'm not sure but it might be able to be cause by an impedance mismatch as well (?).

It is also possible that you have a bad connection somewhere with your speaker cable/jacks or even somewhere in the output stage of the amp.

I'm no amp tech but I believe the blue/purple colour results from a build up of charge feeding back into the power stage of the amp then oxidising something within the tubes.

The strange colour in and of itself does not necessarily mean the tubes are bad, but operating an amp under these conditions can is very unhealthy for your gear and can result in some nasty issues.

I would strongly suggest getting it looked at by a tech before using it again just to be on the safe side - you never know what other components might be having issues and what consequences you get if you keep using it.

tl;dr - take it to a tech.

No.

It's flourescence, or trace bits of gas left in the tube perhaps.

It's totally fine.

• Members

Ah ok. Thanks Phil. Like I said, the amp runs fine. The blue glow might have always been there and I just never noticed.

Is it possible for tubes to suddenly get a blue glow?

Some dancing blue lights is normal and very healthy. It has probably always been there.

Solid blue and you will see the difference is bad, very bad. The horrible buzzing noise and blowing fuses will leave no question about it. That isn't what you have.

• Members

Power tubes glowing blue/purple usually result from the amp being turned on with out a load attached, ie your amp may have been used without speakers which is NOT a good thing to do.

I'm not sure but it might be able to be cause by an impedance mismatch as well (?).

It is also possible that you have a bad connection somewhere with your speaker cable/jacks or even somewhere in the output stage of the amp.

I'm no amp tech but I believe the blue/purple colour results from a build up of charge feeding back into the power stage of the amp then oxidising something within the tubes.

The strange colour in and of itself does not necessarily mean the tubes are bad, but operating an amp under these conditions can is very unhealthy for your gear and can result in some nasty issues.

I would strongly suggest getting it looked at by a tech before using it again just to be on the safe side - you never know what other components might be having issues and what consequences you get if you keep using it.

tl;dr - take it to a tech.

This is all BS. Don't listen to this guy.

Archived