Korg monotron

• Members

I played it at guitarcenter today.

Priced like a toy, looks like a toy, feels like a toy, but sounds amazing. You can really get a wide variety of sounds with it.

Only problem is that its very hard to get a note right or play a melody. I put a guitar through the 1/8 input and didnt really get a good sound out of it. I need some way to get a melody with the good sound. I read in a thread the other day about a sonuus g2m, would that work? or would something else work for recording like guitar to amp to condenser mic to mixer to monotron to recording unit? Also for live uses how do i go about that? I know its cheap for a synth but i want to know what im getting into before i spend the 60 dollars for it then have to spend more for stuff i wasnt expecting.

• Members

Priced like a toy, looks like a toy, feels like a toy, but sounds amazing. You can really get a wide variety of sounds with it.

Only problem is that its very hard to get a note right or play a melody. I put a guitar through the 1/8 input and didnt really get a good sound out of it. I need some way to get a melody with the good sound. I read in a thread the other day about a sonuus g2m, would that work? or would something else work for recording like guitar to amp to condenser mic to mixer to monotron to recording unit? Also for live uses how do i go about that? I know its cheap for a synth but i want to know what im getting into before i spend the 60 dollars for it then have to spend more for stuff i wasnt expecting.

what are you trying to do? "play" the oscillator of the monotron with your guitar ? if so thats not going to happen as it doesn't have an external midi or cv input

if it did (or another device you want to "play" with your guitar did) you would need something like the sonuus G2M or a pitch to CV converter to derive midi data or control voltages (CV) from your guitars audio output

the only external input on the monotron allows you to rout guitar through the filter (much like a wah or filter pedal) as you can see in this block diagram

monotron_Block_diagram.jpg

• Members

Only problem is that its very hard to get a note right or play a melody.
I put a guitar through the 1/8 input and didnt really get a good sound out of it. I need some way to get a melody with the good sound. I read in a thread the other day about a sonuus g2m, would that work? or would something else work for recording like guitar to amp to condenser mic to mixer to monotron to recording unit? Also for live uses how do i go about that? I know its cheap for a synth but i want to know what im getting into before i spend the 60 dollars for it then have to spend more for stuff i wasnt expecting.

The fact that the 'keyboard' is a continuous pitch control is a draw back in a way, but I think it's something you'll just have to deal with...

With some practice, you should be able to play it more in tune...
Perhaps slide into notes and/or use finger vibrato to ease transitions between notes :idk:

It's kind of like playing slide guitar; you have to learn to use your ears to find the pitch.

• Members
what are you trying to do? "play" the oscillator of the monotron with your guitar ? if so thats not going to happen as it doesn't have an external midi or cv input

if it did (or another device you want to "play" with your guitar did) you would need something like the sonuus G2M or a pitch to CV converter to derive midi data or control voltages (CV) from your guitars audio output

the only external input on the monotron allows you to rout guitar through the filter (much like a wah or filter pedal) as you can see in this block diagram

Much thanks for this, so as far as sythesizers with a midi that are affordable goes, there's nothing really in the market?

Archived