Micro Synth: Bass or Guitar version?

andtrea

• Members

I miss a lot my Micro Synth (XO), despite I still remember its defects (difficulties to manage volume and sustain... pretty unusable as octaver etc.. no exp. controls), I tried many other ways to "spice" and improve my sound (POG, Whammy, POG 2, recently a Microkorg too) but the MS has a really unique, FAT, warm analogue magic in may settings.

But I remember too that when I played bass with continuity (for a period last year) the (guitar) MS really didn't work well, the effect was subtle, and barely preceivable.

So I thought: "well, in fact, for the bass frequencies they made a dedicated version"... anyway after a while I sold it.

Now, I am playing steadily guitar with a very low tuning (c f d# a# g c) and I don't exclude to use it with bass occasionaly, so which Micro Synth could be better for me?

Does anyone made some test or comparison of the XO versions with guitar/bass? Tonal differencies?

• Members

i have recently got a big box microsynth guitar version, and i had it modded to truebypass and the trimpot was damaged so a good guy fixed it. initially before i sent it off the sound was good, but i was struggling for volume mix and it just sounded too squishy. since ive had it fixed i love it, i can get sooo many good sounds out of it now, and everything sounds awesome in the mix, i use a lot of effects with it just as distortion fuzz delay etc, and it works great with all of them, it suprised me a lot when it came back form being fixed how good it actually was.

a lot of people on here seem to say the bass microsynth is better for guitar, but i havnt tried that one, and i have the guitar version and the guitar version is amazing.

as for the tuning and which version is better, i only ever play in F A* D* G * C F, Standard tuning, and then dropped D, but it works well with all of those, however with your lower settings i dont know. sorry about that.

hope this reviews help !!!

• Members

I forgot that Lee Ranaldo uses an old Micro Synth, mostly for noise/ambient feedback storms between "real" songs... and Lee is the Lord of low and impossible tunings...

..anyway, I'm still curios about some comparison between the two MS!

Archived