Someone tell my why I shouldn't get a MachineDrum...

• Members
:thu:
Elektron addiction is harmless for the health (-> not so for social life though) and it has been my instant synth/sequencer/drum machine GAS killer for three years already now. But after synths comes nice strips and processing though, so be warned, it never stops :cop:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You are acquiring gear faster than you can learn to use it. I would try slowing down and really exploring what you have now. I have been trying to do that.

I think we both have suffered from the same sort of effect which is being tired of playing guitar, discovering (or rediscovering) electronic music and sequencing, and going nuts with all the cool stuff you can get.

• Members

I did something similar years ago. Bought anything that was hyped on here, basically. Terrible for my wallet. I recall with a certain nausea a period of a few months where I bought a ton of gear (evolver, micro q, pulse, drm1mkII, a second micromodular, a desktop harddisk recorder) only to discover that I didn't use any of it, and sold it all a few months later. :facepalm:

But the MD is a great final piece to compliement your other gear, since you needed a drum machine anyway. It's not like you'll want to sell the Elektrons in a couple months, either, because they stay badass for a long, long time.

• Members

You are acquiring gear faster than you can learn to use it. I would try slowing down and really exploring what you have now. I have been trying to do that.

I agree to a certain degree, but I think that a unit has to click with you. There is no reason to make something work for you when it either is too complicated or doesn't produce the sound you need. A good starting point are the presets. If you like them, there must be a way to program them too and you can start to learn a unit. However, sometimes there is just too much hype or to get to the results you need days and days of work. Then is time to say good bye.

• Members

I think we both have suffered from the same sort of effect which is being tired of playing guitar, discovering (or rediscovering) electronic music and sequencing, and going nuts with all the cool stuff you can get.

hey, can I join this club, too?

So far this year I have turned over my synth collection, started listening to a LOT more synth based music (glitch, minimal house, dubstep) rediscovering the sonic pleasures of synthesis. Acquired a battery of new synths & programmers which I now need to learn to manipulate. All the while, being a guitar first kinda guy.

I guess a kind of ennui sets in, then the other thing sounds exciting and intriguing, then the pendulum swings back the other way... Next year will be a "new guitar gear" year. :thu:

Btw I'm looking for a poly evolver rack as we speak!.

• Members

The Motif was the fatal move for me. Once I had that, and realised that I could phrase similarly to the guitar, and get extremely similar sounds to various guitar rigs, it was game over.

I'll keep one guitar around just to maintain a basic skill, but I'm really starting to believe that synths are simply superior in every way --- for me.

• Members

I'm in the same boat... kinda.

The difference is that you guys can throw thousands of dollars around to buy stuff. I had to sell some gear early this year to fix my house. So, the 5 electric guitars I have left (and my bass and my 3 acoustics) aren't really worth a lot of money (but they're as good, to me, as anything out there).

So I've been looking for quality in a shoestring budget, really. i.e. I have two drum machines, one cost me 89 dollars and the other 169. But hopefully I'll have an album worth of material recorded by the end of the year and that's what matters :thu: (even if it probably won't sound all that great...)

• Members
I'll keep one guitar around just to maintain a basic skill, but I'm really starting to believe that synths are simply superior in every way --- for me.

Be careful cause thats not a permanent feeling. Ive switched between the two 4 times over my lifetime and NEVER end up sticking to just one... There are so many things a guitar can do that a synth can't even come close to...

But I also NEVER sell anything ( except a PRS that was just too much guitar for my rig- needed a stack) so I still have all my vintage pedals and amp. When I change my mind its all still there! Though its not a fair comparison cause I need the guitar rig for work as much as the synth rig. I couldn't sell it if I wanted to!

BUT I also think there is nothing wrong with buying stuff for fun and selling it when you are done! Its just a waste of money but still fun as hell!

If you get off on screwing around without focus- who cares??? If you can, why the hell not!:thu:

• Members
If you get off on screwing around without focus- who cares??? If you can, why the hell not!

You may be right about going back and forth between guitars and synths - but I hope it takes me a while! That Grosh was a sweetie...

...but for now, I have a UPS tracking number. That keeps the blood pumping. :D

• Members

You may be right about going back and forth between guitars and synths - but I hope it takes me a while! That Grosh was a sweetie...

Why not both at the same time, Grasshopper?

When I started, a guitar was just a guitar.

When I was a student, a guitar was more than a guitar.

When I became a master, a guitar was just a guitar.

When I became bankrupt, a guitar was something that you patched into an Evolver so it would go mmmrrreeeeeeploploplop....

• Members

I've owned both Machinedrum and Monomachine in the past. The Machinedrum is a bit cold... but the UW version helps with this. Great live interface.

Also Machinedrum UW is just $$$.

For those seeking electronic drum bliss consider these other alternatives:

RS7000 + SPS1

RS7000 + Jomox Airbase

I went the RS7000 route after the Elektron stuff.. was blown away by its sequencing abilities... the RM1X is not quite the same, as it isn't nearly as 'live'. It does have the MIDI effects and would make a killer remix/sidekick tool for any Machinedrum. Especially if you desire a bit more detail to your patterns.

Archived