Is it Racist?

Ryan.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How can you NOT make fun of it? And by the way, lets face it... Indians
are
pretty damn dirty compared to Australians. It's sad but true.

i know, right! so sad! i hope australians can come to india and help civilize the country. im just so sure it will work, its never been tried before! ahh, the white mans burden.

• Members

well i guess it depends on your definition of racism. indians aren't a race not even slightly racially homogenous for that matter.

it's no different than people making fun of britishers, europeans, etc.

I think the history of colonialism kind of factors into what you can "get away with." ha ha that country we toootally {censored}ed over that only won its independence within some folks' lifetimes is just now clawing its way past our combined oppression to become a contender with non-satellite nations, dick {censored}!

It's just not that funny.

• Members

I think the history of colonialism kind of factors into what you can "get away with." ha ha that country we toootally {censored}ed over that only won its independence within some folks' lifetimes is just now clawing its way past our combined oppression to become a contender with non-satellite nations, dick {censored}!

It's just not that funny.

I think if equality is to be considered a standard to aspire to then such historical influences should not be a factor. As far as i can tell it's only an issue because Indians aren't white and the person who said it, is. Also, Australia never colonized India.

• Members

"We migrated here from the UK"

-Them, in a previous broadcast

(who colonized India?)

Also, historical influences are always a factor. Ignoring historical influences and just saying "all better now" is a privilege of the oppressor.

• Members

let the australian curry bashings continue! huzzah! they should like it but because the people doing it are white its wrong!

hey man we're cool now right? i mean you've been independent for 63 years shut up already why aren't you a first world country yet? clean this {censored} up and get rid of poverty, ya bunch of racists!

• Members

You're a reasonable guy, hear me out. That is, on paper, a funny last name. It totally looks like "dick {censored}." Hell, the word "{censored}" is part of the name. Nothing about finding that funny is racist. Initially he thought it was "dip{censored}," which I think kind of paved the way for the actually racist part:

What did move it over into the bigotry side of things was when he further expanded from "haha that's a funny sounding name given the a counter-intuitive pronunciation for English-speakers!" to the off-color joke about how it makes sense given that she's Indian. Yeah, wallowing "dip" in "{censored}." 'Cause she's Indian. India, the country of {censored}. It makes sense for old miss dip {censored} to be dip in {censored}.

His continued fascination with "dik{censored}" pronounced as "dick {censored}" rather than "Dixit" or "diksit" could just be a case of him getting tickled, so to speak; it happens to the best of us that we sometimes find something just {censored}ing unduly hilarious and we go into a kind of stupid endorphin loop in our head until we're crying and our sides hurt from laughing so hard at something dumb, while everyone around us is "over" the joke. I'll give him that, he's a human being. But there was a racially insensitive component to the particular joke he made there which, unfortunately for the humor-minded among us, kinda ruins the otherwise potentially funny counter-intuitive pronunciation of "Dik{censored}" as a stand-alone thing.

Wow you're really cool, I read this entire thread and this made the most sense to me.

This wreaks of irony. Only about 2-3 months ago (I think it's a Facebook thing due to mutual friends/etc) but I had a mutual friend with my boss who was also a Dik{censored} (in fact, her name was Lata Dik{censored} :poke:) and I snickered at that. No different to how I snicker at Turkish names (dad is Turkish) and Swedish proverbs (mum is Swedish). I thought he was an absolute prick and is a gentle reminder of how everyone can be a Dik{censored} whether they were born one or not.

• Members

"We migrated here from the UK"

-Them, in a previous broadcast

(who colonized India?)

Also, historical influences are
always
a factor. Ignoring historical influences and just saying "all better now" is a privilege of the oppressor.

So we keep historical influences in mind, ignoring equal treatment for how long? As years go by, most people wouldn't have been/weren't alive during the occupation of India. Why should they be subject to such discriminatory treatment?

If a German says something derogatory against the French, who they occupied and oppressed some 50+ years ago, would it be racist too?

• Members

You can't understand anything without understanding "historical influences." How do you consider the situation in the Middle East if you don't know {censored} about Napoleon's invasion in the 1790s for the sake of a political victory against a technologically inferior opponent? His totally zweckrational move set off a chain of events which, further powered by the discovery of oil and its role in industrialization, led to nearly the whole of Africa and the Middle East being divided up by white power brokers looking at a map and giving not one {censored} about any conflicts between the ethnicities or beliefs of those within the new borders. The aristocrats who divided up a continent and a half didn't care about history, and it started us down a course which still could kick off WWIII.

But if you don't think any of that is salient to modernity, then you'd just say "man what's up with those brown folks over there, so mad at us why???"

• Members

let the australian curry bashings continue! huzzah! they should like it but because the people doing it are white its wrong!

hey man we're cool now right? i mean you've been independent for 63 years shut up already why aren't you a first world country yet? clean this {censored} up and get rid of poverty, ya bunch of racists!

Umm after the devastation of Japan at around the same time India got independence, they seem to be doing pretty well for themselves. If you'd like to converse about India's (lack of) development then that is a different thing altogether.

The main point is that the thing said, while culturally insensitive, is not racist. Nor is it any worse than any other nationality poking fun at someone else. Like a Russian host poking fun at Ukrainians.

• Members

So we keep historical influences in mind, ignoring equal treatment for how long? As years go by, most people wouldn't have been/weren't alive during the occupation of India. Why should they be subject to such discriminatory treatment?

If a German says something derogatory against the French, who they occupied and oppressed some 50+ years ago, would it be racist too?

we must ignore historical influences? '53 Iranian coup d'

• Members

You can't understand anything without understanding "historical influences." How do you consider the situation in the Middle East if you don't know {censored} about Napoleon's invasion in the 1790s for the sake of a political victory against a technologically inferior opponent? His totally zweckrational move set off a chain of events which, further powered by the discovery of oil and its role in industrialization, led to nearly the whole of Africa and the Middle East being divided up by white power brokers looking at a map and giving not one {censored} about any conflicts between the ethnicities or beliefs of those within the new borders. The aristocrats who divided up a continent and a half didn't care about history, and it started us down a course which still could kick off WWIII.

But if you don't think any of that is salient to modernity, then you'd just say "man what's up with those brown folks over there, so mad at us why???"

You are deviating a bit but I completely agree with you. All I'm saying is that when it comes to racism or discrimination, historical influences specially if the generation of the "culprits" isn't alive/barely there presently, shouldn't play a factor.

The situation you're talking about is very different from accusations of racism involving a historical perspective.

This is simply a matter of oversensitivity. This is being overblown by Indians while their own physical racism in India is largely ignored.

• Members

I won't argue that India has plenty of internal bigotry. But, logically speaking, two wrongs don't make a right; it's not "okay" to display bigotry toward an Indian because there is also racism in India any more than it is "okay" to display bigotry toward anybody because of any reason (seriously, this is a pretty straightforward but important point, do you really disagree with the basic premise that bigotry is not okay?)

• Members

You do realize i'm talking about verbal racism while you're talking about military conflicts?

If this was an armed conflict involving India and Australia i wouldn't be saying any of this.

huh? that was just my response to whoever said not to bring up history. context is everything. the "military conflict" you speak up did more social damage than political, and that is my point.

• Members

nah, india's development has everything to do with your reference to the country being "dirty." if you think the people are inherently dirty, that is one thing. but you think the COUNTRY is dirty, there are too many socio-economic conditions for that issue to make such a blanket statement.

you are damn right, india is much dirtier than australia. but its apples and oranges, and there are too many issues and implications that make that statement true.

can a russian host poking fun at ukrainians be racist? absolutely, and maybe they are. i dont care for this dude, i think its dumb knee jerk reaction to take him off air, but any bull{censored} media outlet would do it to avoid any bull{censored} backlash, they wouldnt have a spine anyway. i wouldnt be watching what looks like some 2bit morning show to get social commentary anyway (and if this happens to be like a really big tv show there, its still 2bit)

in this case, whether it is racism or not is irrelevant. whether it is "insensitive" is irrelevant. it is
ignorant.
you cant police ignorance, you cant regulate it, you can only educate. thats why people defending either side of this argument will not get anywhere.

Okay i understand your POV better now but lemme just say a few things.

I totally agree India's development is the cause of it's problems with dirtiness. I should've been clearer. I'm not talking about the poorer sections of society who can barely survive much less care about cleanliness. It's probably due to lack of proper education and cultural norms having being distorted but the average Indian who CAN afford to, who has had a somewhat decent education also has low levels of cleanliness. Simple things like personal hygiene, littering, etc. are things completely overlooked. I hope it changes with time but you'll find a poor Kazakh village with better levels of cleanliness than the average Indian home.

I'm not saying in anyway that it's genetic or anything. India has historically been the cleanest society till about the 14-15th century. The Vedic culture ha more emphasis on hygiene than any other i've come across so far.

I'm also not talking about a slum in the country. Go around India and you'll routinely see people throwing trash anywhere they wish, for example. This is more prominent in India than most Developing nations.

Lastly, yes it can be constituted as culturally insensitive but the only reason it's being made into such a big issue is because the perpetrators are white and the Indians aren't. And i'm definitely not saying two wrongs make a right. It's just a matter of oversensitivity. If an Indian host had made a remark about Australians or even white people as a whole for that matter, this wouldn't have been such a big deal.

• Members

yup, me too. google it.

Dude go {censored} yourself.

I live right admits it and believe me when I say that your attempt at sarcasm came off as blatant {censored}ing racism to me, YMMV... it's almost as stupid as me accusing YOUR {censored}ing nation of poisoning the minds of the IMMIGRANTS that are actually involved in these attacks. Oh, wait that's something that ironically your country isn't again accustomed to. I mean spread the hate but close the gates, right? The last (dozen or more) attack was instigated by a Greek descendent that immigrated here in the 1980's...

Australian?

{censored}ing moron. And I thought you had a really cool board; that's last time I associate sound palettes with personalities.

/my contribution as an Scandinavian/Eastern European person living in Australia

• Members

Dude go {censored} yourself.

I live right admits it and believe me when I say that your attempt at sarcasm came off as blatant {censored}ing racism to me, YMMV... it's almost as stupid as me accusing YOUR {censored}ing nation of poisoning the minds of the IMMIGRANTS that are actually involved in these attacks. Oh, wait that's something that ironically your country isn't again accustomed to. I mean spread the hate but close the gates, right? The last (dozen or more) attack was instigated by a Greek descendent that immigrated here in the 1980's...

Australian?

{censored}ing moron. And I thought you had a really cool board; that's last time I associate sound palettes with personalities.

/my contribution as an Scandinavian/Eastern European person living in Australia

whoa, did this really just happen? fetch comes in and says the guy who said "dick {censored}" was "so appropriate because she's indian" was just being a prick, but then he goes nuts and accuses bennintexas of racism for saying something about australians? seriously?

Archived