Any T-Rex COMP-NOVA users???

Johansolo

• Members

picking this pedal up used this afternoon.

any past/present users care to chime in?

the only other compressor ive owned previously was the line6 constrictor, and that was a long time ago

this one seems to get good reviews, and is subtle, which sounds up my alley

• Members

I owned a TC Electronic Vintage Compressor a while ago which is supposed to be identical to the Comp-Nova but in a different enclosure.

I doubt either is true-bypass if that means anything to you. However, the buffer is very quiet and decent when the pedal is disengaged. Wasn't noisy at all when I played my (low-output, passive) Strat through it.

The pedal is very quiet for a compressor when it's on, but not quite 100% noise-free as they claim - but again I play an SSS Strat. The compression effect itself is very musical, and with single coils, it's somewhat magical. It definitely excels better as a sound enhancer, not so much as a limiter.

• Members

yeah i use both humbuckers and single coils.

im debating where to place it in the chain thou

- compressor first in chain

- or elsewhere?

i literally just got my pedal board arranged PERFECT!

now i got to squeeze it in.

my signal chain at present is

Guitar -> wah -> OD -> Delay(fx loop) -> 2 channel amp (clean/highgain)with the board having other footswitch/expression controllers for hte delay and amps footswitch

im going to try it as the first pedal in chain (which is going to stuff up my nice arrangement but ill figure a way to deal)

OR after the OD, which will allow me to have comp after low gain dirt and also before amp high gain

thoughts?

• Members

yeah ill be trying it all ways.

this is my board currently

board1.jpg

its not chockas so ive got room to play with, but everything is where i want it to be for optimum switching.

im staring at this trying to work out how to rearrange my board.

it comes down to whether i want hte comp first in chain or after the shiba OD

(the timefactor is in the fx loop)

if the latter...ill happily move the amp footswitch "up" or completely off hte board.

if i want it first in chain...

remove footswitch, shuffle shiba+ wah across to the right and slot compressor in there?

pedal tetris sucks!

• Members

i think having a comp first in chain has its pros

BUT

i also think having a comp after the wah has its pros too.

BUT...

ive just had a light bulb momment...build a box that does a switcheroo of the pedal order!!! (ive built this into a 2-in-1 DIY pedal already)

that way i can pretty much leave everything (in theory) where it is...and physically put the comp pedal wherever it fits on the board!

so to summarise...in order to add just 1 pedal to a board...sometimes actually involves adding 2 pedals haha

• Members

I had one, it was very nice and subtle, not overly squishy. I ran it after wah and it just smoothed out wah playing, strumming and arrpegio stuff. With teh sensitivity and attack knobs at 0 the volume knob makes a lovely clean boost too.

But quite often I had to think 'is this on ?' as I couldn't really tell at bedroom level, but it sounded great through a louder amp.

• Members

so i got it...and first impressions...are varied

tried it first in chain straight into amp and also after wah(before dirt and delay)

with single coils...i really like it especially with delay

sounds great affect with both clean and high gain

BUT with my guitars with humbuckers (3 diffrent ones with low, medium and high outputs)...no matter where the knobs are set it has an unpleasant(to my ear) affect when strumming chords (noticable volume drop when pedal engaged, thou the strums are ridiculously even with no dynamics)

for finger/country picking and single notes and clean and high gain...its pretty good thou.

not too sure if ill keep it on the board i posted thou...and i was hoping for that subtle "is it on or off" comments that ive read everywhere, but i can defnitely hear and feel that its on with all my guitars with most of the settings

ill try it with a diffrent power supply/batteries tommorow

Archived