I want a volume pedal but don't know much about them

Steve the Hero

• Members

Yeah i'm sorta in the same boat.
The Ernie Ball ones seem to be the most popular, but then they have both the active and passive ones to choose from. Which one i need i have no idea, which is why ive been putting it off for so long.

I think in the end you need an active one if it's going in the effects loop, so you can then use it as a master volume type thing, and a passive one to go in your chain for swells. But DON'T trust me i most likely have it completely backwards

• Members
Passive VP for passive pickups & Active for active pickups.

Plus, the effect loop thing too.

I think the VP of choice is usually the VP Passive.

:thu: this

plus, some models have a switch to modify the "throw" of the pedal i.e. long or short...look at the brands steel guitar players use and work from there, goodrich kicks ass!

• Members

Probably want the passive. Passive always will work. Active not always. What determines the choice is actually the impedance following the volume pedal. If the impedance is low (10K-50K) then the passive will not have a good sweep, but will work. Whereas the active will suck tone in an unbuffered chain.

A passive will work fine following active pups, because the active pups are generally feeding into a high impedance circuit.

• Members

I have two. The EB VP-JR (250k) and a Morley PVO. The PVO I recently purchased on eBay and it appears to have a problem (attenuates volume massively, making it not very useful currently), the EB I've had for years now. Some have said that they suck tone; I've never noticed. Some have had problems with the string coming off or breaking; I thankfully haven't. The one problem I've had is that it seems not always to go all the way down to 'zero', but most of the time it seems to be just fine. The main thing I like about it is the feel - The smoothness of the string operation, and the travel, make it really nice to use. I don't like the Morley nearly as much in that respect.

• Members

Bain brings up a good point about feel (I like EB as well - I like the feel) as you are going to be riding it (someone mentioned checking out pedal steel players...which is good, volume pedal has pretty much become integral to their sound...maybe like distortin for rock guitarists)
Tuck Andres (of Tuck & Patti ) is a good guitar player to check out for volume pedal (it's pretty much the only special effect he uses) and he has a "tech corner" on his site

but anyway - feel is really important as it's no an on-off deal

oh also a note with "passive" and "active" - the term can lead to some confusion b/c of how some companies use it
the EB "active" pedal is, itself, a passive pedal...but it's designed to be USED with active electronics...other companies (like Boss) call this "low impedance"
which is probably more accurate

BUT there are also volume pedals that are truly active (they use a buffer)
goodrich, for instance, makes both passive and active in both high and low impedence

CAVEAT : you can't always tell just by "if it requires power, it is active" - some Morleys (like the PVO) require power to drive the lights in the optical elements, but the signal path is passive

Archived