Modding the diodes in my Big Muff Pi

arcadesonfire

• Members

Hi folks, I just got a standard reissue Big Muff Pi. I'm running it through a plexi clone with the volume knobs up and then going to a hot plate, so my "clean" sound is already pretty dirty and compressed. Therefore, when i kick on the Muff, there's a serious drop in volume and definition.

So i want to experiment with replacing the diodes with LEDs so i can get more volume. I want to do what this guy did: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=398026

But i'm curious how i should wire the LEDs to match the current diode wiring. Should one pair (for example, the pair replacing D1 and D2) be wired in parallel to the same anode and cathode? Or does each diode come from and go to its own node on the board?

Also, does the direction of an LED matter? It matters for regular diodes, right? If it matters for LEDs, how do i tell by looking at the LED which direction is which?

Thanks all!

• Members

LEDs are diodes (Light Emitting Diodes), so it is just a matter of replacing the silicon ones for the LEDs. You can tell what direction the LED is by a flat edge on the body. Also, one of the legs is usually longer.

I put LEDs in my byoc muff and I didn't care for their tone in the 3rd gain stage. In the 2nd gain stage, I didn't think it affected volume all that much. If you want volume you may be more interested in bypassing the tone stack

Archived