Is your rig FUN? Tell me about it.

J05H

• Members
What's your next movie? What kind of stuff do you do? I scored this
TRAILER
with the OASYS.

Well, I tell the guys that it's about what happens when virtual reality worlds crash, and I tell the girls it's a family drama. Sounds hokey, but we just finished the script, and it's solid. The characters are really great, and if I can get the locations we want, it's going to be a really special short film. We'll also be using our new Sony PMW-EX1 HD camera. Woot!

BTW, I don't think there is anything lacking with the setup you already have.

I don't either. It's just very utilitarian. :bor:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You absolutely need to believe that or you'll never make it through production (even if it's "just" a short) ...

Good luck!!!

Here's my best bit of fun ... (Although there's also a V-Synth off to the side ... )

funsetuptj6.jpg

Why is it fun? All those knobs, sliders, buttons, keys and pads make sounds and noises I REALLY enjoy ... for use with my feature/video projects ... it was film that actually got me into musicmaking/synths while editing my first (and only, for now) feature ...

• Members
You absolutely need to believe that or you'll never make it through production (even if it's "just" a short) ...

It'll be our second film, and this one isn't going to have us standing out in the middle of nowhere in the rain in the middle of the night, so we've got that going for us. I'm also not going to be walking through the dark recesses of an abandoned military base dragging power cables and mic cables through what smells like human urine, either. :lol:

Ah, the glamour of filmmaking.

• Members

PigHood,

The setup looks spectacular. However, I notice when I start getting more than two boards around me... do you find it a little odd spinning around backwards, and then clicking record, etc.?

I find once it's out of reach of the computer, I don't use it (I depend heavily on my DAWs) and I jam along to Ableton while writing...

The setup is fantastic. Nice blend of everything.

Cheers,

PB

• Members

Some of the most fun stuff in my studio is also probably what could be considered generally underrated or obsolete:

Roland MC-505's and SP-808's; a Peavey analog filter; an Alesis Ion; Yamaha RM1X's, TX-802's, and a P-120; ART Dual Tube EQ; Korg Wavestation; etc.

My more "modern" and "appreciated" gear is certainly fun, too (Motif XS7, V-Synth, Kurzweil Mangler, etc.)....

Getting it all to sing together is the truly "fun" part....

• Members

... do you find it a little odd spinning around backwards, and then clicking record, etc.?

I have XP with 2 monitors, keyboards and mices. One set is by my synths and the other is by my mixer and monitors. I have it set to duplicate the desktop. Works great with any application. The nice thing is I had the parts lying around unused so no cost.

• Members

Quasimidi Polymorph is probably one of the most fun I've had from an instrument. Moreso than an Electribe, just because of the depth of synthesis, and the sequencer is way better.

I'm getting the modular bug and this is starting to be where it's at for me. The FR XS is a blast to play.

But my rig is as fun as I make it, I could take out some tedious pieces and just focus on recording more straight forward and fun instruments, but I usually try to cram it all down my throat. The Korg Padkontrol makes things more fun though. They need to make that thing into a step sequencer.

• Members

FINALLY , I have a fun rig. Its the most modest one I've had too.

Motif ES6 (with MLAN), Radias rack on a music stand, piano bench, and a pair of headphones.

Been through plenty of 'fun' gear ... but I've need the right mix of sequencer, interface, features, sound quality and synthesis ability.

The Motif ES, as blah as a workstation as it seems, is fun simply because I can do the most mundane of live sequencing tasks - Punch In / Out.

Combine that with just a piano and I'm set. The Radias is helpful mostly as a nightlight but it sounds very nice too.

I could have accomplished all of this easily on my computer (so I can agree somewhat with SetAI), but I just need to separate myself away from it after working all day on one.

So J05H, I'd keep what you have..

BTW - I find my keys on my Motif ES really responsive.. though I like the ones on my former Z1 and Virus TI keyboards better.

Archived