Sh-201 vs. Alesis Micron

Fine_Young_Fool

• Members

Which one is the better option for a beginner, but still has longterm potential?

The simple knob based layout of the SH-201 is a major attractive feature to me, but I have heard that it sounds really "digital". It looks like a really fun, cool synth. Plus, they are on sale at MovaMusik.

Also, I have heard lots of great things about the Micron, but I have also heard it is difficult to edit. It also doesn't have NEARLY the same number of knobs, but I don;t know if that effects the tweakability. The menu deal is a turn off, but I think I could work around it.

Anyone?

• Members

Of the two choices you made, I can definitely say that the SH-201 is a far more user friendly beginner's synth. The Micron has a deeper engine than the SH-201, but once you get the basic concept of synthesis and sound programming down, I'd recommend the R3 over both of them in a heartbeat.

• Members

I had them both and I think that the SH-201 delivers the results easier. Also it has some great effects build in and can sound NON-Digital. In addition you will get an audi0/midi interface with your computer, in case you want to extend your synth collection. ;)

• Members

I had them both and I think that the SH-201 delivers the results easier. Also it has some great effects build in and can sound NON-Digital. In addition you will get an audi0/midi interface with your computer, in case you want to extend your synth collection.
;)

+1

I use my Micron more as a sketch pad than anything else, for which its actually pretty damn cool, but for a serious synth and one that is laid out brilliantly for a novice you can't go past the SH-201. As others suggested, your choice should also include the JP-8000 which I think sonically is better than the SH-201.

• Members

I have been looking at the R3 as well. It looks very good. I think I'm going to cross Micron of the list. So R3 vs the SH-201 you'd do a r3?

R3: Amazingly simple and intuitive interface. A plethora of awesome sounds. One of the best Vocoders on the market. The ability to set audio to straight thru without hitting a key (allowing the synth to act as a guitar effect). Sweet design, overall my favorite synth :love:

• Members

I have been looking at the R3 as well. It looks very good. I think I'm going to cross Micron of the list. So R3 vs the SH-201 you'd do a r3?

Tough call, I actually own both. The SH-201 was my first VA and I had no prior knowledge of subtractive programming. Learning everything on it only took a couple of days and was fun. I then got the R3 to replace it since the R3 has more programming features, but realize I still have more fun playing on the SH-201. The R3 has a much deeper engine and tons of effects to add to the sound, but takes more work since you have to due everything step by step, menu by menu.

So it depends on your preference really. Do you want something simple with loads of knobs and sliders that will help the learning experience come more naturally? Or do you want synth that is more deep and rewarding, but not as intuitive or performance friendly?

• Members

I like the sound of the Micron the best, and I've owned all three. For longterm, I'd choose the Micron because you can get ANY sound out of it... and it will sound good.

The R3 I would second. It's easy to use and has a much better user interface than the Micron... but I never dug the sound too much. I owned a Radias and an R3 and there was something about these two synths that just sounded a little too bright for me.

The SH-201 I just didn't like at all. Now if you replace the SH-201 with the JP8000...

• Members

I think the R3 looks great, though it feels not so great. Definitely would pick it over the SH-201 in the looks department. For what I do, it works out quite a bit better in terms of sound as well. The vocoder is great, and you can use it for external audio processing as well. Right now I very rarely use it for anything but the vocoder (or sometimes as a midi controller when I don't want to fire up the DAW), but it's worth keeping around for that alone. The interface is quite nice for a synth with only 4 control knobs also, with the LED rings and control displays.

-D

• Members

I've heard the same of the R3, though I've not played on in person.

The build on the R3 is fairly poor compared to the SH-201. The SH-201 has a solid feel to it even though it's plastic, whereas the R3 has flimsy knobs and bouncy keys. I've had both for over a year, lugged them around in gig bags and neither have presented a problem, so it's really a matter of how well you take care of your "toys."

And saying either of them looks like a "toy" is very subjective. Even though the Ion/Micron and JP-8000 have a more solid build, one could easily say they look like toys as well due to their colorful interfaces. Santa Claus and Barney the Dinosaur immediately come to mind here.

• Members

I like the sound of the Micron the best, and I've owned all three. For longterm, I'd choose the Micron because you can get ANY sound out of it... and it will sound good.

The micron will be fully menu driven or you will need an editor. And believe me, that is no fun doing your own sounds, since the ION was already complicated to deal with. However, you will get a very open structure, almost modular like with matrix modulation, 2 LFOs, S&H section, 3 envelopes, 3 Osc, 2 multi mode filters, panning, etc.

If you have the patience and a good external effect, you will be better off buying the Micron and or even better an ION. If you want some instant gratification, something you set up in a minute or less with nice effects, you are much better of with the SH-201. A very rewarding synth that has a very typical sound, whereas the Micron is more or less a chameleon with the different filter models.

There is no right or wrong. I let go on the ION because of several reasons, that is was to cumbersome to work with, the oscillator models where not my thing, escpecially the PWM, and the effect sections was so-la-la except the phasers. The SH-201 gives you instant gratification, good and usable effects (the delay and the reverb plus a distortion stage), and can sound like nothing else in my studio.

Best thing is to test drive them both next to each other, dig into the synth and see what you come up with. But even an hour or two won't tell you what you will expect in the long run...

• Members

OK, please do not beat me, but I took some of my sparse freetime and donated it to some sound samples of the SH-201 since people consider the sound as plastic. Maybe it is...???

And I haven't even double checked on these sounds. In case you do not like them or they did not come over right, just raise your voice and I already feel bad.

SH201_pads.mp3

SH201_robots.mp3

SH201_feedback.mp3

SH201_dark.mp3

SH201_humanavox.mp3

SH201_Bass.mp3

SH201_lead.mp3

SH201_sad.mp3

SH201_misc.mp3

• Members

Which one is the better option for a beginner, but still has longterm potential?

SH201 is probably the better board for a beginner, while the Micron has more long term potential. I'd put the R3 right in the middle of those two on both counts.

The Micron isn't difficult at all for me to edit, but I've been using synths for a long time.

• Members

Now my indesicion is worse than ever.

The appeal of the SH-201 to me is the price and how everything is RIGHT there. However, I think you guys are right, and though it is more expensive, the R3 is a good choice. Any more thoughts?

Let me make it easy for you...

Essentially NEW SH-201 (CD isn't even opened), been sitting on my stand a few weeks, maybe had 1 hour of play. Absolutely perfect...$350 shipped. (You pay Paypal fees.)

:eek::facepalm::eekphil::cry::idk::eek:

• Members

The trouble with the SH is that it sounds like an imitation of an imitation of a synth -- not like actual pads, bass, etc. but more like thin blurry aural snapshots of them.

At least spend some time with the instrument before buying -- mp3s don't help since the SH itself sounds like an mp3 of a decent synth.

You would be better off getting a synth that doesn't do a great job on everything, but does some thing well; the kind of synth that you miss after you sell it, if only for those one or two special sounds.

I dunno the Micron.

• Members

The trouble with the SH is that it sounds like an imitation of an imitation of a synth -- not like actual pads, bass, etc. but more like thin blurry aural snapshots of them.

At least spend some time with the instrument before buying -- mp3s don't help since the SH itself sounds like an mp3 of a decent synth.

You would be better off getting a synth that doesn't do a great job on everything, but does some thing well; the kind of synth that you miss after you sell it, if only for those one or two special sounds.

I dunno the Micron.

I've heard this passing comment a few times now, and I have to wonder; have you spent quiet, quality time with the instrument? I'm not talking 5 minutes on headphones at a loud Guitar Center store, or reading other people's comments, or watching YouTube or listening to MP3s...Actually playing it - going through all the presets, and tweaking a couple new ones of your own - in a quiet setting you're comfortable with.

My issues with it (the reason I'm selling) is primarily the dependence on a PC for some basic functions (setting exact tempo on arps, etc) and the fact that I need that function for what I do. The sounds are actually quite good, and I've seen reviews from some fairly big hitters in the industry who tend to agree.

• Members

I have a SH-201 for a couple of months now and I have to say that I am very pleasant surprised by the sound and the feature set of the SH-201. I like the the features set and the oscillator section is just great with not only the standard waveforms but also the trendy SuperSaw and Feedback. The filter has not much coloring but is doing the job. The most difficult thing with the filter is that you have to set the filter envelope with a slider that is working in positive and negative directions. The travel is not much whereas the modulation amount is huge. So, it can be a little tricky to find the right point. I believe this is also responsable for people finding the SH-201 sounding bright, just move the envelope amount just a tick over 0 and you have a very settle and darker sound.

The envelopes seem to be linear and thus not as spiky but that was already the case with older Roland products (e.g. JP-6, MKS-80). All modulation sources are very fluid and give the sound the round edge. For more experimental sounds you have oscillator SYNC and RINGModulation that - together with the designated pitch ENV - can created some stunning effects. Last but not least the tripple effect section with distortion, delay, and reverb. The distortion is only programmable in the amount whereas the other two effects can be fine tuned much better. However, there are 8 effects presets each for the delay and reverb in case you do not want to go too deep.

I would not say that the SH-201 is the most user friendly synthesizer on earth, some of the knobs are double or even tripple occupied, but it gives you an instant gratification. The good thing about that is that if you understand the principle of syntheszier better, this unit gives you room to learn and move.

I personally do not think that the SH-201 is the pinnacle of sound quality or the synthesis but it delivers quiet some good results for such a low price. Since FYF has no other experience in synthesizer and obvious doesn't want to spend the money to buy something every expensive only to find out that he doesn't like synthesizers at all, this is a very good starting point. The sound reminds me a little of the older Casion CZ synthesizer that never got a bad critic for their sound, as far as I recall. THe feature set of the SH-201 actually is very close to the Jupiters with some more modern tweaks (velocity, effects). That cannot be a bad thing either.

Regarding the other two choiced, I never ever would recommend the Micron to anybody who has never touched a synthesizer before. The sound engine of the Micron is practically an ION with some better effects and performance features but with the lack of knobs and buttons. Not that it cannot sound good, but it would be nightmare to program. To understand what a synth is doing it is paramount that you have a button or knob for almost every parameter. Just tweak this and that and see what happens. Theory is no fun and you can read about that at a later point.

The other choice is the X-station that can be have in a 4 octave keyboard for under $500 (novamusik open box). This board is a little bit more complicated than the SH-201, only mono-timbral but somewhat deeper in sythesis since it incorporates FM, 3rd oscillator, 3rd full ADSR and very extensive effect section. This board I could recommend for a beginner as well and the sound is also very Rolandy and round.

But just to close this topic with the mp3 comment. The SH-201 doesn't sound much worse than the Virus or Micron, just different. Actually, I think the Virus has more aliasing at higher pitch than the SH-201 does. But it doesn't matter, Roland always combined a wimpy sound engine with great effects, that started with the Juno-6. Doesn't mean the outcome is a copy of a copy though.

Archived