Ot: bandsaw specs for making guitar bodies

hangwire

• Members

Well.. I've got a 10" delta bandsaw I picked up locally on craigslist for $75... works like a charm. As long as all your doing is cutting out bodies with it.. all you need is a bandsaw with a cutting depth as big or bigger than what you're working with.

That ryobi might be fine... I have no experience with ryobi products though.

• Members

Cutting a pick-guard sucks.. haha. But a band saw will do it.. it might be really rough depending on the blade used. I'd recommend a scroll saw... they sell for pretty cheap and can cut even more precisely than a bandsaw. Beleive it or not.. at one point in time I actually used a scroll saw to cut a body blank once... actually worked out not so bad.. of course.. I was cutting pine though!!! Haha. If you wanna go even cheaper.. just get a coping saw... for the pickguard.

• Members

you really could get away with a hand-held jig saw, i guess it all depends how often you intend to build guitars.

i have a 14" ridgid i found on craigslist.

IMAG0234.jpg

IMAG0218.jpg

are you going to sand these to size or use a router & templates?

if you are sanding to size a spindle sander will help immensely..

build thread in my sig, lots of tools, jigs & whatnot going on.

• Members

Wouldn't I need a finer tooth blade for the guitar woods anyway?

No. the problem with using a too fine a blade when cutting wood, is that it takes too long to cut and produces a lot of heat. That can burn the wood and overheat the blade. It may work fine but this is what might happen. A band saw is usually used just for the rough cut.

• Members

didn't even consider a jigsaw...

is a jig saw and a saws all essentially the same thing?

A jig saw will be easier to control in this application and better at maintaining a good 90 degree angle.

Before I had a jigsaw I substituted my sawzall.

I got it from cpo, great place for refurbished tools. Google it, I'd link it, but am on my phone..

Archived