Recommend a keyboard amp for an elementary school

Binkeys

• Members

So, I have this small weekly gig playing for a local private elementary school. They have a weekly assembly, and I play the anthem and some songs connected to the season, holidays, etc.

They have a cheap Casio keyboard and a small Alesis Sumo amp that I've been using. The amp is not strong enough and distorts even at very low volume, and lately it's gotten worse. So, they're considering buying a new amp and have asked me for recommendations. Budget is a huge consideration, if I come back and say it's $500, they likely won't get anything.

(Personally, I use a Polytone Tarus Elite, which is more expensive, when I have my own small gigs like this, but in this situation, I'm not going to bring my own equipment.)

So, what would you recommend that would be good for one keyboard and vocals. It needs to be durable and carry well enough for 200 kids to hear without distorting.

Thanks!

• Members

A 100W amp distorts at kindergarten level volume?

I use a powered PA speaker (Mackie SRM350) live for monitoring; this would also be suitable for a "keyboard amp" at indoor, non-rock-and-roll loudness.

Looks like the cheapest (non-Behringer) PA speaker is the Tapco By Mackie TH15A (approx $350). No personal experience with that speaker.

• Members

Seems like a sensible solution would be to settle on a budget and post a classified (Craigslist), ask local music shops, etc. to find a used seller in that range.

Could also be that the Alesis just has a broken part and could be repaired for much less than the cost of buying new, assuming you have access to a repairman who isn't a scumbag.

• Members

There are two options that I regularly use and recommend to get good sound at the low budget level. The cheapest is the Logitech Z-2300, which is available nearly everywhere. These are powered stereo computer speakers with subwoofer that are quite unlike the vast majority of computer speakers: they don't suck. It has a powerful amplifier that is better than any a music amp that would cost double the price.

A slightly more expensive option, and my preference for good, clean, loud volume is the Behringer B212A powered 12" PA speakers. Unlike much Behringer gear, these speakers are durable and reliable. They are also usually pretty easy to find at music stores.

Listen to them both, then buy the best you can afford.

• Members

A slightly more expensive option, and my preference for good, clean, loud volume is the Behringer B212A powered 12" PA speakers. Unlike much Behringer gear, these speakers are durable and reliable. They are also usually pretty easy to find at music stores.

I must comment on the Behringer nod here. I recently purchased 2 B215A powered speakers, and they worked well for all of 3 gigs. Then one night one cut out on me. Talked to the folks at American Musical, who were very helpful in replacing the bum speaker. Unfortunately, the replacement was DOA.

Last week I dropped some good money on 2 Roland KC350 keyboard amps. Ahhhh, stereo at last! Clean, reliable, and powerful.

Like xmlguy, I have had some good luck with Behringer, and a friend of mine has never had a problem with his B215s. So take this post for what it is - information - and caveat emptor. The Logitech solution seems pretty good; I used Logitech monitors as my very first recording and mixing monitors, and they did well for the money.

Archived