A very direct, simple way of building beats, riffs and songs graphically?

cobalt-60

• Members

I've been wanting to work with electronic, or at least electronicaly composed music for awhile now. I really want something simple, intuitive and graphic. Kinda like how most song composers are, but just for a drum beat. Where can drag, snap, and crap (ha, I meant "crop") the bass, snare, etc. Same with chopping up riffs. Kinda like a sampler, but all visual. And stupid simple. And, um, free or easily downloaded, and (hopefully) works on a really old PC (mines in the shop, and I'm stuck with 512mb of ram).

I remember liking Cakewalk in 2003, which feels like a million years ago.

• Members

?

The basic version is VERY cheap, but you can check out the demo to see if you like it. (The demo is only restricted in that you can't save project files - you CAN export the audio though.)

Why buy the cow when I can get the milk for free? Can I? I have the old version of reason, but there isn't a way to graphically edit a drum beat in it, much less easily sample.

• Members

any of the linear DAWs will do you good.

Logic, Cubase SX, Nuendo, ProTools, etc.

any of these programs allow you to import samples and place them in separate channels and line them up graphically.

then you can create a loop, and record your guitar and vocals right over top in another channel.

they aren't easy programs to learn, but once you get the hang of it they become 2nd nature.

it could end up looking something like this:

newcub27a.jpg

Archived