sub-Octave pedal through guitar speakers?

arcadesonfire

• Members

My band just had to say goodbye to its 4th bass player in less than a year, so we've decided to move on as a trio with our keyboardist covering the bass lines either on keys or by switching to bass guitar. But i'm thinkin i'd like to cover bass lines with my guitar sometime.

So i'm wondering: is it safe to use an octave pedal through guitar speakers? I know it's not good for the speakers to plug a bass guitar in... so does that mean a pedal could be trouble?

Assuming it's all safe, do you think it can put out a convincing amount of low end for the audience?

Got any recommendations? I'll be playing through a fender HRD with a v30 and a Traynor YBA-1 with two g12h30s simultaneously.

• Members

I tune to C# and still use a whammy octave down, a bluebox (2 oct down fuzz), a ring mod, ect ect. You name it. Its fine. Really its fine. Matter of fact it sounds pretty damned cool.

Give it a shot. And when you first try it, compress it and play some funk. You will have a blast.

But its totally safe, and it sounds cool. I've played songs where my bass player went to keyboards and I kept an octave pedal on all song, went fine.

When in doubt, experiment.

Archived