Got me the cheapest European Mopho

vwizz

• Members

Damn you guys!

I finally paid a visit to the MESI guys. Today they did a sudden price drop to compete with Thomann, and I was the first one to buy one from them: 319 euros: http://www.modularsquare.com/Dave-Smith-Instruments.html

Damn, it's cheaper than a MicroKorg!

but OK, 12 hours ago, I was still skeptical about that yellow box:

-all the demos I heard here did not fit the "portable Little Phatty" side that I wanted to use it for, sounded too Evolver to me.

-nobody answered my question on how the glide was working, knowing that it was the thing I hated in the Evolver (no way to link the 4 separate glide + extreme calibration: no glide between 0 and 90, and real glide between 95 and 100...not cool!)

But OK, I still pay a visit to the the magical MESI shop (I so love it: it's an old garage in the south Parisian suburb, with just a small sticker on a metal door... You got to know where you're heading!):

always the same magic: old 70's synths covered with dust (Yamaha CS, sequential circuits, ...), a huge Hammond throning in the middle of nowhere, , lots of Moog stuff, an opened Prophet, circuitry everywhere. No distinction between the shop (more a desk as a matter of fact), the warehouse, and the lab (they repair synths and build the Eowave stuff there)

But OK, there was a Voyager connected to a Mopho, connected to very loud speakers.

the guy invites me to try it.. And then: wao, much better than I expected. To be honest, for a second I thought it was the sound of the Voyager...

I was convinced in an eyeblick, bought one and a Moog EP2 for my Phatty and went...

First thing I did at home: dial in a "Moog like" tone..

Well, it's way better than what I could do with the Evolver in the "Moogish" field (that's not what I used my Evo for anyway...)

I think the triangle osc is more present and warmer than on the Evo (well, the triangle osc in the Evo was almost non existent to me, unlike its powerfull saw...), especially at closed filter settings. :)

Of course it is not as Moog as the Phatty (at least for my type of leads..), but well enough for any gig and within a mix, there wouldn't be a noticeable difference IMHO.

Second good surprise: the glide: at last a good calibration, plus the choice between different modes (fixed time, fixed rate, ...). Behaves way better than on the Evo.

OK, I still need to tune two Glide parameters, but at least it sounds as I want. And the LP does not have all these different modes anyway:thu:

So, for the 1/4th of the price, i finally got a portable LP (and way more), with aftertouch and fingered portamento, party time!

I'll stick a Nova Delay up his ass and it'll be ready to gig!

Last thing: by rotating it 90 degrees, it perfectly fits on the top right of my Nord Stage Compact... Great pleasure to play the Mopho with pitch stick and the Stage Compact's smooth aftertouch :)

Plus it convinced me to sell some stuff I wasn't using (EHX Hog and two old delays)..

But OK, now I have to get back to my silly film score with Omnisphere, serious work ahead :)

V

• Members

If you are living in Paris, don't forget to check Wave Master shop that I visited two weeks ago. I saw a nice Prophet-10, an Ob-1 and an Emulator-2 there. Couldn't try anything, but some exciting pieces.;) (it is two streets below Pigale).

• Members

You mean Masterwave maybe? I think I was in their street this afternoon but I never go in their shop, I didn't know they had a Prophet 10?!! :thu:

Thanks for the info, I'll go next time (or maybe I shouldn't :)

I think this forum is going to ruin me..

But OK, I try to follow the DualLowPass style now: sell something if you want to buy something new.. At least it worked today :)

V

• Members

Some crappy pics taken without light: tomorrow morning it'll look much better!

vt20081010imgp6568hn8.jpg

vt20081010imgp6576eg4.jpg

the rubber pads fit perfectly on the stage, it's stable, and I can still play the high keys:

vt20081010imgp6578wq0.jpg

vt20081010imgp6573cy5.jpg

And finally the classic shot :) :

vt20081010imgp6571xi7.jpg

• Members

OK, I still need to tune two Glide parameters, but at least it sounds as I want. And the LP does not have all these different modes anyway

Wait a second... You can't effectively change the glide speed while playing unless you're using one osc patches? I'd sent the box back and ask for a fix or a refund ;)

Did you check if Mopho's assignable knobs accept multiple parametres?

If not, maybe your MIDI keyboard accepts multiple parametres on its controllers.

Archived