Dean Deleo's (Stone Temple Pilots) rig

TimmyT

• Members

So I went to see Stone Temple Pilots the other night and was super impressed with some of the guitar sounds Dean was pulling. I was wondering if any of you knew anything about his rig. I'd love to look into it more. On the night it looked like he was using VHT amps and he just had tons of rack mounted stuff. The only info I've found online so far was from this video although I'm not sure it's still relevant??:confused:

[video=youtube;rrsJaFAdLY8]

I'd never even heard of Demeter products before. Has anyone used his amps or pedals and could tell me more??

• Members

I just found this:

Dean's live equipment has been described as "simple yet effective", and allows him to replicate the sounds he gets in studios. He primarily uses a modified Dunlop Cry Baby and a BOSS CE-1 stereo chorus pedal. For a number of years his rig was switched via a Rockman midi pedal, has since been replaced by a RJM Mastermind midi pedal.[2] His amp set up includes a Demeter TGP-3 three-channel preamp, preamp switching via Rockman Midi Octopus, a Rocktron Intelliverb and a VHT Classic stereo tube power amp that runs 100 watts per side into two Marshall 4x12 cabinets.[3] Part of the signal from the pedalboard is also sent to a Vox AC-30 2x12 combo amp, and DeLeo credits this amp with creating clarity in his crunchy guitar tone. In addition, since part of his rig broke down while his was in Japan, Dean's rig is now doubled, containing two of everything, as a backup in case of problems.[4]

Dean's crunchy guitar tone was a main trademark of STP, and has a distinct tone. Not overbearing on distortion, his sound possesses a unique "crunch", and is often seen as spacey. He pays homage to many genres and tones, most noticeably hard rock with elements of "psychedelia, jangle pop, and other forms of melodic alternative guitar."

If anyone knows of any more info or videos, can you please let me know. Thanks :)

• Members

I saw them a few years ago. He was using Vox AC-30's stacked on top of Marshall 4x12" cabs. I'm not sure if the Vox speakers were disconnected or ran in series/parallel with the Marshall cabs? He seems to like Vox amps in the studio for cleans up to overdrive and he uses a pile of small combo amps, 6", 8", 10", etc. speakers for dirt, leads, layering. Another big name guitarist from a band in the 70's used an almost identical setup in the studio as well...

• Members

I found these pictures if anyone else is interested although they're a bit small and hard to see.

equipment_dean_live_setup_2000_04.jpg

deanrack1.jpg

2007-05-01_guitar_world_pho.jpg

sparksfriction...do you/have you owned one or have you just had a play with one? If so, what pedal was it?

• Members

Dean's crunchy guitar tone was a main trademark of STP, and has a distinct tone. Not overbearing on distortion, his sound possesses a unique "crunch", and is often seen as spacey. He pays homage to many genres and tones, most noticeably hard rock with elements of "psychedelia, jangle pop, and other forms of melodic alternative guitar."

If anyone knows of any more info or videos, can you please let me know. Thanks
:)

That's similar to what I used to do except I used a jcm 800 2204 instead of a demeter. An ac-30 in a distortion mix really gives a much more full range punch.

• Members

I've never really tried doing the amp blend thing. I just got a Radial Bones Twin City A/B/Y switch in the mail the other day and have not had the chance to try it yet. I'm going to be blending my H&K Duotone and my Hot Rod Deville 410. Hopefully I can pull some killer sounds. I'd really love to get that 'full range punch' that you mention. How clean was the AC-30 when you used to do it?

Archived