Sequential Pro-One

dereksljuka

• Members

Pro-Ones with serial numbers over 8500 have the {censored}ty membrane keyboard.

Ones with S/N under 1500 have the power supply mounted on the main board, which sometimes leads to breakage. So, the best bet is one between 1500 and 8500. ;)

• Members

I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter what serial number you get, you're still getting a Pro One.

The membrane keybed can be dealt with. The power supply is an EASY issue to handle with a minor mod.

People forget that the J-wire keybeds in P1's also need service. They forget that there are bad caps in all of them. They forget that there are CEMs. And, they forget that there's a processor that essentially can't be replaced. So, obsessing over what amounts to minor issues (keybed or power supply) on the P1 is absolutely silly.

• Members

I'll still take the J-wires over the rubber domes as they can always be repaired and are self-cleaning for the most part.

If the rubber one dries out and cracks the keyboard is pretty much finished AFAIK.

I do worry about the unobtainable processor though - thanks for reminding me, Sizzle. ;)

• Members

Processors rarely fail... but when you play a synth, especially a vintage mono, what do your fingers deal with the most? Yep, the keys. If the membrane keyboard truly stinks, it makes the whole synth stink.

That said, I wonder if replacement membranes are available... maybe one out of another synth would work. It's just a row of rubber domes with conductive rubber on each dome, as long as they're spaced correctly it should work. One could even cut up the strip from another keyboard and glue it back together with the proper spacing if it came down to that. A cheap PC keyboard would give you 100+ membrane domes to work with, almost enough to fully refurbish three Pro-One keybeds. ;)

But, J-wires are more serviceable, as they can be cleaned, and if they break, are readily replaced. If you find a great deal on a membrane unit, go for it, after all, it's a Pro-One. But if it's not the deal of the year, pass it up and wait for a J-wire one (unless you plan on using the CV/gate inputs, then the keybed doesn't matter so much).

Re: the processor, now that would be a cool upgrade. Replace the processor in a dead Pro-One with a modern microcontroller with new firmware. Emulate the old functionality and add new features too! I wonder if adding patch memory is a possibility, but I doubt it.

• Members

Unobtanium CPUs reminds me: I had a Tempest video game for a few years (I was slowly reverse-engineering it to put a different game on it, didn't finish), and it has some serious unobtanium in it, as well. Namely the 2901 bit slice (4 of them!) processors used for the vector display math unit.

Nearly anything vintage is gonna have something irreplaceable in it, so it's just part and parcel to owning owning vintage stuff.

• Members

P.S. why does everybody always talk {censored} about CEMs??

Because they're not models of integrity. They're old ICs and often take a hit if something else in the circuit goes down. I'm not saying it's a frequent occurrence, but I've had a lot of CEM synths and equally my share of failing CEMs. They sound and perform fine the great majority of the time.

With regards to the membrane keybed - yeah, it's easier to deal with a J-wire because direct replacement parts are available, but these days there are plenty of good solutions for membrane keybeds. Caig has some really nice products, for example. But, you have to keep in mind how many membrane keybeds are out there now - since the '80s there are tonnes of them and I rarely see anyone running into a scenario where the rubber has dried out.

You can put just as much work and resources into a J-wire keybed as you can a membrane keybed is all I'm saying.

• Members

This might be a really, really stupid question.

I saw that the Mopho board has "Pro One II" written, so at least at some point, the project was supposed to be a continuation of the Pro One concept. Does anyone feel that, sonic-wise, the Mopho is worthy of that name? Could someone use a Mopho and a controller if their Pro One died and get pretty much the same sounds? I believe the Mopho has more routing capabilities, and the Pro One can't do all the Mopho does, but does the Mopho do all the Pro One does with a very similar sound? They both have Curtis chips, right?

• Members

Others will and have disagreed, however I just had and sold my second Pro One. Other than concerns over unobtainium and really {censored}ty build quality, I sold both Pro Ones after turning on my PEK and saying to myself "WTF do I need a Pro One (and the associated hassles) for when I have a PEK?"

So I got a SH2 and I'm much happier.

The PEK (the Evolver engine) easily replaces the Pro One for how I use it. So, if the MoPho is Evolver engine V 2.2 then IMHO it would handily replace a vintage Pro One.

• Members

The Mopho is as much a Pro-One II as the Prophet '08 is a Prophet-5 II. As in, probably not very close. Didn't Dave Smith say he wasn't trying to recreate his old stuff when he created his new stuff? But soundwise, you should be able to get pretty close, not enough for a synth purist, but probably enough to work in a mix.

That said, my first mono (if I ever get one) will likely be a Pro-One or a Mopho...

• Members

The Mopho is as much a Pro-One II as the Prophet '08 is a Prophet-5 II. As in, probably not very close. Didn't Dave Smith say he wasn't trying to recreate his old stuff when he created his new stuff? But soundwise, you should be able to get pretty close, not enough for
your typical internet forum synth snob
, but
real musicians concerned about music and creativity will
probably
be very happy with it
in a mix.

Here, I fixed that for you.

Archived