Valuable items between Canana and US/import fees

droolmaster0

• Members

Ok - looking for someone who is very familiar with how this works. The rules may be different depending on the direction that things are going. I have a trade worked out with some pretty valuable gear. I'm sending to Canada, and he's sending to me in California (though I don't think that the specific location within the US makes a difference).

I've heard various things, and I'd like to verify them. Apparently the free trade agreement only pertains if the gear is actually manufactured in the US (going to Canada) or Canada coming here. In this case both items were manufactured elsewhere.

I also heard ('I read it on the internet') that stuff might be held up if the value is $2,000+.

i'm interested in what exactly the rules are. I can't afford to pay a huge import tax on a $3500 item coming here, and obviously my trading partner would like to avoid a huge fee also.

I'm not, of course, looking to break the law (I'm a law abiding droolmaster) - I just want to find out what exactly it is, and how it works).

• Members

I believe duty for importing into Canada is 6% for musical instruments, but you have to pay 7% GST as well. My only attempt at importing ended up in the synth being held up at customs, lost, damaged and sent back to its origin. I'd be careful.

Archived