some help with a recording setup!

• Members

I've been thinking about putting together a little home studio. I wanted to use it to mostly produce hip-hop beats for friends to rap over as well as to record some rock and roll/black metal tracks from time to time. All the drums would be programmed. I would only occasionally record guitar and vocals with mics but otherwise it'd be direct using some kind of preamp I suppose. I've listed out some of the gear i'm considering (minus monitors for the moment) and wanted to know if I'm going along the right track. My budget is about $2500 including the imac computer (refurbished for around $1000). I can always spend more a few months down the line if theres some equipment that would be recommended but not immediately necessary.

quick questions: is the apogee duet a good interface to choose? any others I should consider?

Do I need more than 2-3 mics if I'm recording just guitar and vocals occasionally?

what programs should I be using? I'm considering ableton live since many friends have good things to say about it.

am i missing anything?

Computer

iMAC - 4GB memory/1TB hard drive

Interface

Apogee duet 2

Controllers:

Midi keys - M- Audio Oxygen 49

Akai Pro LPD8 Laptop Pad Controller (for drums,etc)

Novation pad for ableton live

headphones:

AKG 240 MKIIs

programs

ableton suite8

easy drummer or some other drumming program

any more?

mics:

Shure SM57 - 70

decent vocal mic - 200

• Members

is the apogee duet a good interface to choose? yes but if you want to record a drum set with Kik Snare hat Over heads You will need 5 inputs. Prosonus (or maybe Midi Man.) The quality of The Apogee is nicer but inputs are the trade off

Do I need more than 2-3 mics if I'm recording just guitar and vocals occasionally? - consider getting a stereo pair of small diaphragm condensers, a large diaphragm condenser, and a SM-57

what programs should I be using? I'm considering ableton live since many friends have good things to say about it. - Live is a great program, but Bang for buck : Logic Pro. (all the plug ins you will probably need)

am i missing anything? - probably. there will always be something you need want forever.

Computer

iMAC - 4GB memory/1TB hard drive - Great!

Interface

Apogee duet 2 - Good Quality.

Controllers:

Midi keys - M- Audio Oxygen 49 - good

Akai Pro LPD8 Laptop Pad Controller (for drums,etc) - meh. not necessary imo. You can and probably will do the same thing on your keyboard.

Novation pad for ableton live - If you get Live, and want to perform with it. Although not necessary just for the studio, they are somewhat fun, if not a bit gimmicky.

headphones:

AKG 240 MKIIs - imo, The Audio Technica M-50s kill those.

programs

ableton suite8

easy drummer or some other drumming program - I like Easy Drummer

Archived