Digitech's RP1000 Multi-effects Unit-Opinions Please

• Members

With the RP1000's integrated switching it seems this may be a lot easier to use with a pedal board. What are your thoughts?

Digitech's Integrated Effects Switching System takes multi effects to a whole new level.

The DigiTech RP1000 guitar pedal is loaded with over 160 effects and 200 presets giving you a splendid range of tones. With an integrated effects switching system, no longer will you have to do the pedal tap dance

• Members

A lot of guys on here don't really use the Digitech RP series. Not to say that the RP1000 is a bad at all, but rather that HCFX tends to be more into utilizing pedals as opposed to programming patches. That also means that if you do happen to see guys using Multi-FX units, it will more often be the Line6 M-Series, which is laid out and designed to be much more pedal-like in terms of functionality. However, there are some cool things out there as far as the RP series - for instance, this PGS demo makes it look pretty powerful and useable. . .

[video=youtube;OeSlnvYPYnU]

• Members

I had one... Well the 355 model. It was fun. But presets are not as fun to play with. Plus the amp sims weren't great. Some times I wanted to shut off a delay. So I had to switch to stompbox mode. Then I want wanted to go.to another preset. Had to double pedal tap to get out of the stompbox mode. Furthermore the usb recording required me to reset cubase, so I could not use this and my prsonus interface.

In the end I like hooking up a million wires and looking down at a bunch of knobs and blinking lights.

• Members

I had one... Well the 355 model. It was fun. But presets are not as fun to play with. Plus the amp sims weren't great. Some times I wanted to shut off a delay. So I had to switch to stompbox mode. Then I want wanted to go.to another preset. Had to double pedal tap to get out of the stompbox mode. Furthermore the usb recording required me to reset cubase, so I could not use this and my prsonus interface.

In the end I like hooking up a million wires and looking down at a bunch of knobs and blinking lights.

The thing is, the 355 and 1000 are two different animals. With the RP1000 you only need four wires. See the OP.

• Members

The thing is, the 355 and 1000 are two different animals. With the RP1000 you only need four wires. See the OP.

I realise the difference. The amp sims in the 1000 can be shut off easier. And there is more stompbox. But the usb problem is the same. And the effects, are not very different from one another. They sound alike. The difference is the amount of switches. I wouldn't say they are very different animals. I went back and forth between the two, read both manuals and test drove them both. Very simliar units.

• Members

My experience with the RP series is that there is a half-second lapse when you switch presets. Sounds decent, but because of that, do not want. Get a Line 6 Floor POD or something of the like.

...oh yeah that too...

Plus some times the effects would mess up (sound terribly glitchy) and the unit needed to be restarted. If it happened live... Ugh...

• Members

I think it all depends on what you want to use it for.

I have a little RP155 that lives in a cupboard out of sight. It's rigged up to a computer via USB, guitar/computer audio is then transmitted through cordless headphones, and to a wall mounted 40" screen. I use it every day for playing along with mp3's, music videos and video guitar lessons. It's a handy set-up because as you know, it ain't always practical to play through a cranked valve amp (even the little ones are bloody loud in the home).

90% of the effects are cheesy so I avoid. The sampler is a waste of ram. The drums (excellent sample quality) I never use either. However, X edit 2 is quick, logical and in-depth. For a USB interface setup like mine, an RP1000 would be overkill as I don't use it as a rugular floor pedal.

I also have some analouge pedals and a Boss ME-70. The RP155 is about on par with the ME-70's sound quality, but the ME-70's massive array of real buttons makes it as easy to use as a regular stompbox. No USB on the ME-70 though - that's why I ended up getting the RP, and that's why I'm finding that I'm using the RP more. Neither the Boss ME-70 nor the RP155 sound that great into a valve amp. Clean effects are OK, but the crunch/gain tones sound thin and nasty IMHO.

• Members

I recently picked up an RP1000 off Craigslist for $225. My amp is a Crate Vintage Club 50 3x10 combo. I don't want amp modeling so I have it turned off. Here's how I use mine.

I have my pedalboard (Line 6 M5, DOD FX100, Jekyll & Hyde, EHX Germanium 4, 535Q Wah, EB Volume pedal) in the stompbox loop of the RP1000. I have a Hafler T3 3 channel tube preamp in the amp loop of the RP1000.

I'm really happy with the way this setup works. I just got the M5 last friday and it's replacing a Magicstomp I had on the board. I was surprised to find how good the Fuzz(es) and the Chandler Tube OD emulations were on the M5. I haven't been able to get through all the FX yet.

If money isn't a big object (HD500 is $100 more than the RP1000) I would get eh HD500 instead. This is based on the M5, which I believe is a single stomp with nearly all the FX and Distortion stomps on the HD500. The OD's on the RP1000 sound good too, but the flexibility of the HD is much more.

Bottom line is yeah to answer your question the RP1000 sounds good with your pedals and seems very transparent when amp modeling is off. And the Clyde wah on it isn't bad either.

• Members

i used one for almost a year. i really liked it at first and then grew not to like it as much. the M9/13 is better and the nova system is better yet. its cool for being able create exact patches but the sound quality and not being able to stack effects are what made me sell it. its cool to have a bunch of different amp sims and dirts but when they arent usuable it just doesnt make sense.

• Members

I realise the difference. The amp sims in the 1000 can be shut off easier. And there is more stompbox. But the usb problem is the same. And the effects, are not very different from one another. They sound alike. The difference is the amount of switches. I wouldn't say they are very different animals. I went back and forth between the two, read both manuals and test drove them both. Very simliar units.

Interesting point. I was under the impression they were a lot different. Thank you for that.

• Members

I don't know about the RP1000, but on the '155 even having the amp/mixer switch set to Amp doesn't completely eliminate all speaker modeling, it turns off the part of the speaker modeling common to all the speakers in Mixer use, the treble rolloff. The eccentricities of each speaker/cab are still in effect if you use an amp model and don't change the cab to "DI" (direct), and every time you switch models it brings up the preferred cab model associated with it. If you want to try different amps into one cab, you also have to keep switching back the cab.

However I've got to call BS about the amp models not being much good or not being usable through a normal amp. They do tend to be heavily EQ'd and I have to wonder if that isn't the main difference between them and the real reason a few do sound very good at times. For example the Mesa model beats many analog OD pedals as a light drive through an amp, but sounds so terrible when used "correctly" through a mixer that I can't hardly believe that was the intention.

There is no substitute for getting down and dirty with the editing, for example the Muff model pales compared to the real thing, but add on some JCM900 crunch and it gets quite monstrous.

As to that switching delay, the transition itself is as fast and smooth as possible, but it is hard to get it to occur on beat. The looper has good sound quality, but the "easy" implementation is mind bogglingly stupid, usually taking me about 5 tries to get a barely usable loop, although you can do some droney (untimed) things very easily.

These units really hit a lot of bases for the price, although for more specialized use they are not the best. I got mine mainly for reverb with freebies, unlike the Digiverb you can use reverb without volume loss, and the seperate supply avoids getting digital junk into my Onespot chain..

vv-- there are 2 ways to "shut off" amp sims, 1 is to not use an amp sim in your presets etc., the other is to use the "DI" amp as very useful volume control. The Mixer setting can still be used as a roll-off for non-amp applications with external dirt.

• Members

Honestly the amps sims aren't bad at all. The presets for them are just set up to sound like utter crap. You need to take some time and actually tweak them, but they can definitely sound very good. To me the effects sounds better than what you will get from the standard L6 modelers, but as already stated you can't stack them (only one delay, one reverb, one modulation, etc... at a time).

That said, I primarily got mine for recording and stick to standalone pedals when I'm playing through an amp.

Archived