Done playing more "traditional" metal: Now I need a solid fuzz pedal.

grunge782

• Members

I really like the sound of that octave squarish warble that some fuzzes have when you hit certain chords or notes together. I hate overly smooth/weak fuzzes that just turn the entire sound into one big mushy mess.

I love the FZ-2 but I have to admit that it is quite boomy,bassy, and dark.

For what you mentioned, I would look at something like an Expandora in Forbidden Fuzz mode or even a BOSS FZ-3. I doesn't quite have the Octave like the FZ-2 but it has a nice Tonebenderish sizzle and decay to it that makes it quite unique.

• Members

devi ever hyperion. under 100 new. depends on the fuzz tone you want. a fuzz factory used or a mastotron used would be good. swollen pickle used. if you want a blend of fuzz/ditortion, look at earthbound supercollider. i run one and a swollen pickle. the sueprcollider is an awesome pedal. there are a lot of pedals out there. start youtubing {censored} and see what fits you best tone wise.

• Members

Get a DIY Fuzz Face kit and have someone assemble it for you with the following changes:

- make input and output caps .1uF

- change cap from emitter resistor/pot to ground to 10uF (is the big 22uF stock one)*

- change both transistors to BC550A

- put small 100pF cap from base to collector of first transistor (can be done on solder side of PCB)

- put small 47pF cap from base to collector of second transistor (can be done on solder side of PCB)

*Lots of people find the fuzz knob to be useless if you use it for maxed out stuff. In this case, the pot can be eliminated altogether - just use a 1K resistor instead.

Oh yeah - biasing and output volume level is usually pretty decent with a 5.6K/1K pair coming off of second transistor's collector, 33K from first transistor's collector works well, too.

If you need someone to assemble it for you, just print out the above and let them read over it.

I promise you that it will provide a fuzz that a metal guy could probably migrate to - decent attack, minimum mush, the nice "crackles" as the notes decay. Fun stuff. Not polite, but not overly buzzy either.

Sounds good. I'll try that! Even though I didn't ask... :)

• Members

Sounds good. I'll try that! Even though I didn't ask...
:)

DO try it. Like green eggs and ham, you WILL like it. Others who have built it (who like things heavy) were shocked at how well it worked for them. The metal crowd have special needs when it comes to fuzzes in many cases. That "recipe" will get you there, IMO. The best part is that it is stupid simple for a fuzz, and doesn't require any "mojo" parts (it works BEST with the "modern" BC550A transistors).

Archived