Again with the fuzzes

• Members

Okay. So i'm getting my PCB for my fuzzface tomorrow. But i have just realized i do not know how to wire the led in.

I have a schematic of a 2pdt switch(i think it's called?) but i want to wire it with a true bypass 3pdt with an led.

Here is a pic of the circuit i have(it's the npn one)

p><p>
<A href=http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_ff5_lo_npn.pdf

Thanks for your time

• Members

I don't use software that draws pretty pictures of point-to-point wiring. I use actual schematics, which you probably wouldn't understand. So, I'm not going to provide a picture, and just hope you understand a written explanation. :)

A 3PDT looks just like a DPDT from the bottom, except that there's an extra vertical column of three lugs - a total of 9 lugs instead of six. Each vertical set of lugs is essentially a separate double-throw switch. Mechanically, each of the switches moves together. Depending on the switch position, the center lug in each column will be connected to either the top lug or the bottom lug in the same column. In your diagram, when the effect is turned on then the center lug is connected to the top lug. When the pedal is in bypass then the center lug is connected to the bottom lug.

So, let's assume you wire it just like the diagram shows, using the two columns on the left for the bypass switching. You should have an extra column of lugs on the right. With me so far?

Solder a piece of wire (preferably black) to one lead of a 4.7K resistor (use a 1K if you prefer a brighter LED). Solder the other end of the resistor to the cathode lead (the shorter leg) of an LED. Solder a piece of wire (preferably red) to the anode lead (the longer leg) of the LED. Put shrink tubing or electrical tape around these connections.

If you're not sure which LED lead is the anode or cathode (e.g., if the LED has been previously used) then look at the plastic body of the LED. There should be a small skirt at the base. That skirt will be flat on the side nearest the anode lead.

Connect the black wire to any ground point. Looks like there should be some space on the sleeve lug of the output jack.

Connect the red lead to the top lug in the third row on the switch. Connect a wire (preferably red) to the center lug in the third row on the switch. Connect the other end of that red wire to the positive battery lead.

• Members

Well, i am partially retarded. I can read schematics, but sometimes i get confused because i don't understand how parts work. This is very helpful thank you so much. I do know how to read leds. Thank you so much for writing this out for me

• Members
Well, i am partially retarded. I can read schematics, but sometimes i get confused because i don't understand how parts work. This is very helpful thank you so much. I do know how to read leds. Thank you so much for writing this out for me

I screwed up. The flat side of the LED is nearest the cathode - not the anode. Must remember not to post on forums before my second cup of coffee. :facepalm:

Archived