Novation Supernova III ???

tangerine

• Members

did you just buy one? I dont see the point to this thread really, unless your really excited about a new purchase. Which is understandable, best VA ever made.

novation doesnt make new synths anymore because they're too busy making lame ass "limited edition remote SL" dayglow controllers for retards. Has anyone seen this? What a joke...

• Members

In a previous thread i reported that some italian guys at a Novation stand in a i-don't-remember electronic stuff meeting were told by some Novation gurus that a SN3 project is currently into consideration (nothing sure), maybe something should come out in this period or at the beginning of the next year, but, again, nothing sure...

I totally agree with Yoozer about why Novation is no more making synths : for the same reason Emu is no more making synth (being bought by another brand...Which never made synths).

Anyway lately, from a famous source (sequencer.de), i found a truly scary information : the Supernova/K-stations use sampled waveforms, not VA modeling :confused: I'm going to believe that the Voyager uses short pre-recorded tapes...:rolleyes:

This shocked me badly :cry:

• Members

Anyway lately, from a famous source (sequencer.de), i found a truly scary information : the Supernova/K-stations use
sampled waveforms
, not VA modeling
:confused:
I'm going to believe that the Voyager uses short pre-recorded tapes...
:rolleyes:
This shocked me badly
:cry:

LOL - if thats the case - then maybe thats where the others are going wrong :p

KS rack is still one of my favouritte synths.

• Members

In a previous thread i reported that some italian guys at a Novation stand in a i-don't-remember electronic stuff meeting were told by some Novation gurus that a SN3 project is currently into consideration (nothing sure), maybe something should come out in this period or at the beginning of the next year, but, again, nothing sure...

I totally agree with Yoozer about why Novation is no more making synths : for the same reason Emu is no more making synth (being bought by another brand...Which never made synths).

Anyway lately, from a famous source (sequencer.de), i found a truly scary information : the Supernova/K-stations use
sampled waveforms
, not VA modeling
:confused:
I'm going to believe that the Voyager uses short pre-recorded tapes...
:rolleyes:
This shocked me badly
:cry:

The sampled waveforms were for the EPs and organs I believe.

• Members

LOL - if thats the case - then maybe thats where the others are going wrong
:p

KS rack is still one of my favouritte synths.

Same here :love: Except I have a KS-5. I was pretty pissed when I heard they were bought by Focusrite who probably doesn't give a crap about synths. Anyways, I would love to see a SN3. That would be awesome.

• Members

sampled waveforms
, not VA modeling

You've read wrong. The KS-series uses sampled waveforms together with modeling, just like the Virus (spectral waves), the Waldorf Q (wavetables) and the MS2000/MicroKorg/R3/Radias (DWGS waveforms).

The SH-32 uses sampled waveforms instead of modeling.

• Members

You've read wrong. The KS-series uses sampled waveforms
together
with modeling, just like the Virus (spectral waves), the Waldorf Q (wavetables) and the MS2000/MicroKorg/R3/Radias (DWGS waveforms).

The SH-32 uses sampled waveforms instead of modeling.

That would be fine. The SN is a very cool-sounding synth, and in my favorite online shop there is one SN2 rack 36-voices selling for 600

• Members

I digitally record a saw wave at 400hz frequency at 44khz and I get a bunch of bits.

I digitally record a sample of a saw wave at 400hz frequency at 44khz and I get a bunch of bits too.

The only issue with samples is that good interpolation is hard and you're bound to lose some information when transposing up or down. The fact that a DSP itself doesn't have a lot of memory to spare for good multisamples and that you can seamlessly change the waveform already means a lot.

But for sure, many people are convinced that VAs cannot be comparable to analog in sound terms, and that romplers cannot be compared to VAs

I don't see this ever changing. It'd be at least a bit more bearable if they also had some clue about EE and Economics 101.

Archived