Velcro

guitapick

• Members

Hey. I'm about to get a new pedalboard. It's down to Leprechan or Pedaltrain. I like the Pedal Pad, too, but only the adjustable bases model, which are bigger than I need.

One of the selling points to Leprechan is the locking pegs. I can see where this would be very cool...but am not so sure about the idea that velcro is both flimsy and hard to remove from a pedal's underside.

I know that practically anything can be removed with either lighter fluid or WD-40 (amazing product...fish oil's the main ingredient), so my main question is about the strength of velcro on your rig(s). Pedals stay in place? Any problems/solutions/etc?

Thanks for your time.

• Members

I find velcro to be sort of annoying. Especially if you move pedals around a lot.

Velcro is usually a one time application sort of deal, so it's good for concrete placement and ideas.

The surface on a pedaltrain works well for it, but i'm personally done w/ velcro. I recently went back to my wider DIY chain-link board.

I know that practically anything can be removed with either lighter fluid or WD-40 (amazing product...fish oil's the main ingredient)

Yeah, Naptha is great for removing any sticker adhesive, but i'm finding it's not so tough on the thick gummy stuff.

And, according to this, the fish oil thing was a myth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

• Members

I find velcro to be sort of annoying. Especially if you move pedals around a lot.

Velcro is usually a one time application sort of deal, so it's good for concrete placement and ideas.

The surface on a pedaltrain works well for it, but i'm personally done w/ velcro. I recently went back to my wider DIY chain-link board.

Yeah, Naptha is great for removing any sticker adhesive, but i'm finding it's not so tough on the thick gummy stuff.

And, according to this, the fish oil thing was a myth.

Awww...pop my little balloon why dontcha...? Oh well.

Interesting about the moving pedals around a lot aspect. I would be, as I want a small and larger board. Did you make the chain link board yourself?

• Members

Awww...pop my little balloon why dontcha...? Oh well.

Interesting about the moving pedals around a lot aspect. I would be, as I want a small and larger board. Did you make the chain link board yourself?

Hah i've been known to pop a few.

Yeah I made it. And what I meant by chain link, I mean the bike chain links that you screw onto pedals for mounting purposes.

It helps if your pedal board is made from solid wood, and if you have a cordless drill or a decent automatic screwdriver with 1/2" cap wood screws.

Otherwise you can use aluminum and self tapping screws, but ehhh..

Heres an old pic to show what the mounts look like.

100_9872.jpg

again, velcro works but needs to be applied correctly and to the right surface if you want it to last.

• Members

Yeah, I've seen some really nice rigs with the bike chains. Great concept.

I'm pretty into the Leprechan stuff...a bit pricey, though...but I've been saving up. Get a Voodoo Lab power supply...do it up...

Cool Super Shifter. I've got the half rack Pitch Shifter Delay. I'd like to think of some way to set that up on a board, but don't think it's gonna happen. I use a lot less pedals than I used to.

• Members

I use Velcro, comes of pretty easy and any gunk can be removed with Goof off. The only negative is pedals that have not been powder coated like the Mad Professor line, you can peal off the paint.

When you use velcro make sure to put the loops on the board and the hooks on the pedal. The hooks are pretty prone to picking up hair, dust, etc..... Screwing your pedals to the board makes moving them a lot harder.

• Members

velcro man nothing falls off my board ever. do you gig? what if a pedals fails and its chained to your board you wouldn't be able to rip it off and reroute your patch cable.

I'm shooting for fall or winter to be gigging again. The last decade's been all solo acoustic gigs. Chair and a mic. Electric's a lot different. I used to use a Boss BCB-6 with the other pedals attached outside it. I want it all on one board, now (though I don't use as many pedals as I used to). Either the Leprechaun or Pedaltrain.

Interesting point about re-routing. I've had pedals go out on me, before...

• Members

I prefer Dual Lock over velcro. It's more secure than velcro, and to remove the effect, just place a flat head screwdriver between the Dual Lock and pull up or twist. Also, if ever you need to remove the Dual Lock off of your pedals or board, it doesn't leave a film or residue like velcro.

• Members

I prefer Dual Lock over velcro. It's more secure than velcro, and to remove the effect, just place a flat head screwdriver between the Dual Lock and pull up or twist. Also, if ever you need to remove the Dual Lock off of your pedals or board, it doesn't leave a film or residue like velcro.

i thought dual lock was a type of velcro?

• Members

Screwing your pedals to the board makes moving them a lot harder.

But you can't argue that it's a cleaner and sturdier way to semi-permanently mount them.

It just requires you to carry an automatic screwdriver. A ratcheting palm driver would work too I guess.

Velcro is annoying in a whole other way.

It's really a toss up. You have your pros and cons.

You can also go with this http://www.bedroom-boards.com/

:idk:

• Members

nice let me know when you play out or if you wanna gig with my group.

Cool...will do.

Checked out your YouTube link. You like Fripp? I always have...great sound, man.

Hey solewheelin: bedroom-boards.com/...I like the green...very natural...like camping out.

:)

• Members

Now that's interesting. Here's the quote from their page:

"3M

• Members

Cool...will do.

Checked out your YouTube link. You like Fripp? I always have...great sound, man.

Hey solewheelin: bedroom-boards.com/...I like the green...very natural...like camping out.

:)

I haven't particularly listened to Fripp, but will check some stuff now. I'm a very big frank gambale & scott henderson fan though.

• Members
I haven't particularly listened to Fripp, but will check some stuff now. I'm a very big frank gambale & scott henderson fan though.

I date myself. He played with King Crimson. Very strong sustain. Gambale and Henderson are great players. I can hear that, too...

• Members

I have an idea that would work if there's a little room underneath the board at the desired mounting points. I'm sure this has been done before, but I'm contemplating this myself and would appreciate any additional input...

Idea:

• Members

As an alternative to velcro, check out the 3M double stick tape, works pretty good for my live use and doesn't leave a residue when peeled off. If you're still deciding between boards, you can do a TON of cool modifications to pedaltrain boards and they have a great customer support system.

• Members

Sounds good. If I'm catching your drift, it's like a cross between the bike link method and the Leprechaun: leprechaunpedalboards.com/index1.html

The Leprechaun boards are interesting, but to me, meh. The board is MDF, if you spill something on them, liquid will seep into the drilled holes and eventually absorb the liquid and ruin the board. The adhesive pads can be costly in the long run as well. If you are one to remove and replace effects, that can be annoying storing pedals w/ the pad/mount protruding from underneath the effects. You couldn't store them in their original box.

• Members

You can also go with this
http://www.bedroom-boards.com/

:idk:

Bedroom Boards, FTW! I despise velcro as I rearrange/add/remove pedals frequently and it can be a giant pain in the ass. I have a large and small BB and I switch {censored} up whenever, no issues and pedals stay planted in that thick ass shag!

The lesson here:

Shag > Velcro

• Members

Sounds good. If I'm catching your drift, it's like a cross between the bike link method and the Leprechaun: leprechaunpedalboards.com/index1.html

A little bit, yeah. Admittedly, my idea would require a little extra effort to get the proper size thumb screws. You'd need different sizes/lengths for different brands/enclosures. But the perk is that you could get away with having longer-than-needed screws since you could just stack washers. And it would let you keep the rubber feet on the enclosure.

Leprechaun makes a fuss about how bad it is to use adhesives, but they're using it on their own mounts which go directly onto the pedals. And it's less surface area than velcro. So the only argument they can make, as far as holding power is of concern, is that their adhesive is stronger. But that would mean greater difficulty in removing the mounts from the pedals (that is if you care about the paint job). Hate, hate, hate. Also, what do you do when you want to remove it from the board and use it separately on the floor, like if a bandmate wants to try out one of the pedals? It's not going to rest flat on the floor with those things on the bottom.

I don't mean to tear Leprechaun apart. It's still a clever design, but it's just not my bag. If you think you'd be into it, go for it.

Archived